Author Topic: Merging the Search and the other text part left of it togheter!  (Read 2196 times)

silasje1

Hey all users!

I got an idea to make the top bar less clutterd!

Here what i propose:

Merge the two text areas togheter (just like google chrome and IE9 did)

What i mean:

Thanks for any feedback
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

mikebo

I was thinking about it and although i would like it for its simplicity there is one problem with this approach: How will a new user know that this is also a search box?
The way chrome does it is that when you first open it, the focus is on the address bar and a search icon suggests that you can input a search query.
With MusicBee it's different as it displays the current location in the address bar when you open it. So with address bar already occupied how do you let the user know he can type in a search query?

I'm not saying that this can't be done, it's just that the way you want it to be wouldn't be very intuitive. I'm sure you can come up with something better.

silasje1

I was thinking about it and although i would like it for its simplicity there is one problem with this approach: How will a new user know that this is also a search box?
The way chrome does it is that when you first open it, the focus is on the address bar and a search icon suggests that you can input a search query.
With MusicBee it's different as it displays the current location in the address bar when you open it. So with address bar already occupied how do you let the user know he can type in a search query?

I'm not saying that this can't be done, it's just that the way you want it to be wouldn't be very intuitive. I'm sure you can come up with something better.
:
Good point.... There could be a Search Icon merged with the ----- stripes... Than it could show a dropdown menu with this:

it could show the Music in first place (3 results)

Than 3 search query

edit:

it should show 1 search and 1 music line (i dont think preloading suggestions is possible now)

Edit 2:
There should be a tooltip saying : search and navigate
Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:02:56 PM by Silas Arentsen (Silasje1)
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin