Author Topic: MTP Crash  (Read 17306 times)

bartolo

Songbird: 1.1RC and lastest 1.2 beta
Device: Nokia 5530 XM

Each time that i enable MTP support in MusicBee i get a crash, so i can't enjoy it :). If i can do something to find the problem, i'm glad on helping you.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

• Administrator
there is a conflict on some people's PCs that causes the MTP api to crash (thats why i made it an option rather than recognising MTP devices by default). My guess is some other software has been installed that has updated one or more of the required DLLs and causes a conflict.
I'm quite busy this weekend but during next week, i will try to see if i can figure out what all the dependent DLLs are and then ask you to check what version you have on your machine.

bartolo

Thanks for ur fast response. I'll help you. I have installed Nokia ovi suite, dunno if it's reponsable for "that" update of DLLs

Steven

• Administrator
hi, i believe i've narrowed it down to the where loading an MTP device could be failing. But could you tell me which windows version you use and is it 64-bit?

edit:
confirmed with another user, looks like i have a fix. I'll include in the next 1.2 beta tonight or tommorrow night
Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:22:31 PM by Steven

bartolo

First line of my post says which os i'm using.
And now, it doesn't get detected if i connect it as MTP device, but if i connect it as Massive storage device it works (previously it was working anyway in this mode).
And as feature request, when i sync a podcast(ihave checked: "only sync unplayed episodes only"), can be available an option to mark those espidodes as played?, because if i choose to sync again, they're copied over and over even if they are already in the device.

Steven

• Administrator
it seems the crashing was always happening with 64 bit windows which is what you had. But just to be completely sure with your test, did you tick 'enable MTP devices' in the main preferences panel? Otherwise as MB works now, MB wouldnt try to look for the device if the device was set to MTP mode

bartolo

Steps that i have done:

- I connected my nokia 5530 as Portable Device(Windows 7 shows it as this, below my CDROM units)
- I installed Musicbee 1.1 RC, and after launch it and activated detect MTP devices i got a Crash
- I installed lasted beta (zip contains an exe and two dlls, one with the "old" word in his name). And then i launch again musicbee, i see nothing. My device is not detected.
- I rename Interop.PortableDeviceApiLib.dll to Interop.PortableDeviceApiLib.dll.new and Interop.PortableDeviceApiLib.old.dll to Interop.PortableDeviceApiLib.dll. I launch musicbee and i got the same result. My device is not detected and i got no crash.

Well, i can live without my device getting detected. But definitively there's a bug in musicbee or i'm doing something wrong.

Steven

• Administrator
in step 3, you started MB with the new version - did you re-tick 'detect MTP devices'? That setting gets unticked automatically if MB crashes as happened in step 2
The latest beta wont work with the old Interop.PortableDeviceApiLib.dll, so if you retest you would need to make sure you are using the version that came with the latest 1.2 beta

Once i'm sure the crashing with MTP devices is fixed i'll get rid of the 'detect MTP devices' setting as it only leads to confusion for people, but it was necessary to put this in place until the problem is resolved.