Author Topic: Sync with respect to original folder structure  (Read 14676 times)

bugmenot

Hi everybody  :)

First of all, I'd like to congratulate the team for this great piece of software. It actually replaced Mediamonkey and JRiver Media Center on my setup.

A question then: is it possible to sync a portable device with respect to original folder structure? I only see an option to create a path using tags but not the original path. For instance, a file in C:/folder1/folder2/file1.flac should have the same path on my device: F:/folder1/folder2/file1.flac.

Thanks!  ;)

Steven

• Administrator
this has been asked a couple of times and as i am looking at device synch at the moment anyway, i have enhanced it so if no formated filename is included as part of the synchronisation settings naming template it does the following:
- if tags for a directory structure are part of the naming template, then the filename only (without the folder path) is taken from the source file eg.
synch template:
MUSIC\<Album Artist>\
or
MUSIC\<Album Artist>\.
would synch as:
MUSIC\the files' album artist tag\source filename.mp3

- if no directory structure template is include, the the filename including folder path is taken from the source file eg.
synch template:
MUSIC\
or
MUSIC\.
would synch as:
MUSIC\full folder path of source file\source filename.mp3

- the usual case where a filename is formated:
MUSIC\<Album Artist>\<Title>
would synch as:
MUSIC\the files' album artist tag\the files' title tag.mp3

MB determines that a template has no formated filename if the template ends with the "\" or "." character

I will post a link later today or tomorrow
Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:08:19 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this has the functionality as described
Note that you need to have version 2 installed from the weekly updates topic first if you have not already done so

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

bugmenot

bugmenot

bugmenot

Actually, I'm having some trouble with the root folder.

I couldn't find a way to have some files copied from: F:/Music/X/Y to D:/Music/X/Y

If I set D:/Music as the folder music, then I get D:/Music/Music/X/Y and I cannot specify D:/ as a folder.  ???

Steven

• Administrator

Nazgulled

I have a small issue with this...

My music is all stored in my "Music" user folder, that is "C:\Users\<username>\Music\(...)". As such, keeping the original folder structure (which I would like), will keep the whole structure, including the "\Users\<username>\" part, but I would like to ignore that and just start at "\Music\(...)".

Would that be possible?

redwing

I have a small issue with this...

My music is all stored in my "Music" user folder, that is "C:\Users\<username>\Music\(...)". As such, keeping the original folder structure (which I would like), will keep the whole structure, including the "\Users\<username>\" part, but I would like to ignore that and just start at "\Music\(...)".

Would that be possible?

Tried with a virtual tag, but can't help you. If it's about creating a virtual tag, then this would work: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9317.msg67186#msg67186
But when it's applied to file organizer, all backslashes are stripped off, and a multi-level folder path gets combined into a single level folder name. As I requested before, a special handling is needed when <path> is used in naming template of file organizer or sync settings for preserving backslashes.

Wraith

I think I have a problem related to the previous posters' issues.

I was able to find the option discussed here to copy files by directory structure rather than tags, which I want.  Here is my issue.

I am trying to copy from my music library,  J:\Special Drive\Music Library,  to Device\Storage Media\Music.  In the device and library settings, the appropriate folder paths are named.  But I only want to copy the CONTENTS (files/subfolders, etc.) of the music library folder...instead, my device winds up with a path of:  Device\Storage Media\Music\Music Library.  Is there any way I can prevent this?

Thanks!

AndrewKaNoid

I just installed Music Bee. I haven't used it before.

I was looking for a way to automatically sync my iTunes podcasts to a USB stick / mass storage device. Apple won't build that into iTunes of course.

Anyway, I consider Music Bee to be well done software so I made a donation. It was fairly easy for me to figure out how to get automatic syncronization of my USB Stick set up in the Preferences. I happen to know enough to put an app shortcut in the Win7 startup folder, so that Music Bee will run at Windows Startup.

The only thing that confused me briefly was the Error Message resulting from a "Music" folder not existing on my USB Stick which told me that I may need to change something in device settings. It fooled me into thinking that Music Bee was mysteriously not recognizing my device upon the sync attempt. I'd prefer that Music Bee included the "would you like Music Bee to create this folder?" phrase and functionality. This would just prevent half-wits like me from getting confused.