Author Topic: MusicBee ignores 'the' when sorting, but my iPod Classic 160GB won't  (Read 5931 times)

Abel

Anyway to fix this? Or should I change something in the preferences? As of right now my iPod sorts 'The Killers', 'The XX' and 'The Rolling Stones' under T, but I would like 'The Killers' to be sorted under K, 'The XX' under X etc. without changing the artist name to something like 'Killers, The'.

Thanks in advance

Alumni

I think you might need to add "sort album artist" tags to your files. Try it with one of your albums and see if it works.

redwing

Probably it has nothing to do with MB.
It's a long story, but my guess is it's your iPod's fault. Factory reset might help, but it hasn't proved yet nor I can guarantee it would work: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9383.msg55356#msg55356

BTW iTunes 9.2.1 looks safe for the reset as Steven warned iTunes 11 won't be compatible with MB:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12200.msg74177#msg74177

Abel

Alumni's tip did not help. I will give redwing's a shot soon and I'll report back. Thanks for the replies!

xryanx

I'm having the same problem, has anyone confirmed a solution to this?

Maybe there's a way to sort Artists by a separate tag from the tag being displayed on the iPod? I think that may work as a simple solution, if only I knew which values to adjust in tag editing by Artist?

phred

• Global Moderator
This is an iPod/iTunes/Apple issue.  The only work-around from the MB side would be to delete "The" from all Artist tags.  Not very efficient, I admit.  I've learned to live with the "The" on my iPod.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
newer iPod's will automatically apply, as default setting, sorting of Artists and Albums ignoring A, An and The if the Sort-Artist tag is empty
iPod Classic still requires an override in that tag for it to happen.
MB only saves the 'Artist Sort-Order' tag to the Library database  -  even if you have it set up as a Custom tag.
If you do have it defined as a custom tag, auto-complete will populate the field when selecting '...', allowing it to be manually saved.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together