Author Topic: Identifying unknown songs using digital signatrure  (Read 14175 times)

Alexis

I do not know how the current feature in Musicbee was implemented or works (technically) and so I am making this request with quite some degree of  ignorance.....

Is it possible to implement a feature similar to  soundhound or this site:    http://www.midomi.com/  where more tracks can be identified through Musicbee?  

I hardly get any results using the current Track identification service  in Musicbee.. even with the digital signature option checked, while Shazam, soundhound and the above site  gives  results.   It would be nice to have it integrated in Musicbee, so I could just have it do it in small batches automatically.

I often think it is just simpler to  just re-buy  the songs people want tor establish their library with, but easy for me to say because my library is relatively small.. some of these guys have huge libraries, so  any help is appreciated.
Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:39:02 PM by BeeFanatic
They are not lazy... just more efficient.

Steven

• Administrator
right click/ Auto-Tag by Track/ Identify Track and Update Tags
then tick 'identify track and artist using the digitial sound signature'

Alexis

yes, I have done that.  The first thing I usually go with is the default setting and if no result, I then go with what you suggested.  Still, very rare to get any results.

lnminente

Hopefully i have my library "fully" tagged since some months now so maybe i'm wrong, but i miss a dialog window for confirming the changes here. I'm speaking about tagging a simple file, if it can be used for massive identifying files then i dismiss this.

Notice the fully between ", never is sufficient for tags :D

Steven

• Administrator
i tried with the first song and i get "Lauryn Hill" track: "To Zion"
However if you have 'update blank fields only' ticked it wont work for your file because the artist and track title already have a value in, so untick that and it should work

i think i will change it to disregard that setting for artist and title only if you have 'identify track from digitial sound signature' ticked
Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:02:29 PM by Steven

Alexis

I am so ashamed.  Silly  me assumed that blank fields included 'unknown, track1  etc.  i really goofed this one up.

So then the  engine that does this is similar to  shazam etc?

I did the entire album and it really worked.  

(Sometimes I just have to think a bit harder)

Edit:
I still have tracks that  the other services would identify, while the engine in musicbee cannot.. now that I know how to do it properly.  
Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:13:33 PM by BeeFanatic

jistme

No shame on you (only), until now I also assumed this option was still a little 'broken'.

After checking sound signature in the same way as the OP did, MB gives the impression it just failed, giving no additional information at all.
It would at least be an improvement if MB would give some feedback after checking the sound signature.
It has 'fooled' me all this time...

What seems really erronous is that when 'update blank fields only' is ticked, also really empty tag fields are not filled.
I just checked with 'track6'.
Album name, publisher etc. are also not filled when 'update blank fields only' is ticked, even though they really are empty.
Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:00:02 PM by jistme

lnminente

The feedback is in the status bar, but i remember it took me a while to see it

jistme

Besides that it is indeed a little hidden in the status bar, it just says something like 'not updated'.
Giving no real clue about what happened.

Steven

• Administrator
i have taken a conservative approach with this as i have had quite a few cases in the past where people were using this functionality in a very stupid way eg. applying it to their entire library even when their files are tagged with the correct artist. So MB would analyse the file and sometimes get an incorrect artist, overwrite the artist tag and then tag the other fields using the incorrect artist.

So now it only works if the artist really is blank or you have explictly unticked the blank fields filter. I might add a bit of extra info to warn the user to untick blank fields setting but i am not going change the behavior.
Update blank fields should be working fine and has been checked many times from people's complaints. It simply means that for the given artist and title, no tags could be retrieved from MusicBrainz

Alexis

Steven, I totally agree that it is best to take the  safe route first because  for sure, it is easy to do the stupid thing with one's library.   It makes sense as you said to offer a better description or something.  As a matter of fact, we should post suggestions  for you  so that you d not have to spin your wheels on that.

Considered ;-)

Thanks.

jistme

It would still be nice if you would be presented with the option to update other fields.
Even if you already have the correct artist/track title filled, it would be very useful to have the choice to have other fields like genre, album title, release date updated/improved if so desired.

Steven

• Administrator
you can already select specific fields to update - i think that should already be obvious in the dialog.
As to having multiple choices for updating blank fields, i dont agree with that on the basis that too much choice with only subtle differences is confusing to many people.
I was thinking when digital sound analysis is ticked, it simply warns of the implications if you have 'update blank fields only' ticked.

jistme

From my own perspective I would love to have a 'left/right' comparison screen.
Left: current known and filled tagfields
Right: proposed fields to fill/update after recognition with the option to 'untick' per entry.

The way it is now you have to make a choice for fields even before you know what will be useful for the concerning track(s)

Of course I just have to think for myself, you have to think for a lot more people ;-)