Author Topic: Original Year tag  (Read 2611 times)

kairos

I think an "original year" or "composition year" type of tag for songs would be really cool to have. I like to keep track of the original year each song was released in compilation albums and such for organization purposes. I can do that using custom tags now, but I can't do very much with them unless I go through the painstaking process of tagging every single song regardless of whether its original year tag would be different than its existing year tag.

The idea I have is that there would be a tag you could enter the original year in, with MusicBee assuming that it's the same as the Year tag if it's blank. This way one could create things like 1960s or 1980s playlists and include any songs that are in compilations from later on (for instance, I have a Doors album released in 1994, but containing songs mostly from the 60s; having these in a 90s playlist doesn't make much sense). Just tagging the original year in the Year tag is what I did in iTunes, but it wasn't great then either, and in MusicBee it causes the album to be split up into entries for each year when using Album View, sorting by Sort Artist/Year/Album like I prefer to.

I figure this would also be useful for noting the composition year in classical music.

Zak

• Global Moderator
As well as a custom tag to store the original year value, you could create a virtual tag that displays the custom value if present or defaults to the normal year tag if not.
<IsNull(<OriginalYear>,<Year>,<OriginalYear>)>
Bee excellent to each other...