Author Topic: Update Tags from Filename  (Read 3886 times)

veglisa

Up to now I have been using Music Jukebox and it has the ability to update tags (eg. track#, artist, album, track name) from the filename.  eg.  if the file name is name "01 - Rod Stewart - My Girl" you can update the tags using a format such as "[Track#] - [Artist] - [Track].

I know that MusicBee can do this automatically by drawing the information off the internet but this has been a helpful feature when much of the track information is available from the file name and has been invaluable in lessor known albums.

Can this be done with Musicbee and if not is it possible in future versions.

Thank you,
veglisa

Steven

• Administrator
thats exactly what it should be doing now! Its done when importing into the library if any of the tags are blank. I'll check out on the weekend whether something i have done has broken that functionality

veglisa

Excellent, look forward to hearing back from you.  Could you please also let me know where to stipulate which part of the filename applies to which tag, unless it is done at import time that you identify the naming format of the file and how it applies to the tags.

Steven

• Administrator
i just tested and its working ok for me. The behavior at the moment is order of precedence depending on the number of '-' chars and whether the first is a number (its not configurable at the moment):
[track #] - [artist] - [album] - [title]
[track #] - [artist] - [title]
[artist] - [album] - [title]
[artist] - [title]
[title]

I will make one change though, it currently doesnt save the new tags back to the file and only caches them in the MusicBee library. I'm providing an update a little later tonght and will correct that.
Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:34:40 PM by Steven

donjulien

Maybe you should also let us do it manually, in the same way "Send to -> Folder (reorganise) " works. Some people do strange things to their filenames.