Author Topic: Few minor ui improvements  (Read 44659 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I really like the idea of having arrows instead of plus signs in the computer node. It looks far more elegant and modern that way. I find the plus signs don't blend well with darker skins.

Steven is that change on the cards?  :)
i have changed it so the expand/ collapse arrows are more like windows7 and the colour should now blend in better as well

silasje1

ksvane

Your mockup was how I realized Mazzy Star has recently put out a single. Thanks!!

How do I change the skin settings (as needed for #5)?

ma_t14

Your mockup was how I realized Mazzy Star has recently put out a single. Thanks!!

How do I change the skin settings (as needed for #5)?

You can't, it needs to be supported by the skin directly. As far as I know only dusk/dawn and WMP skins have added support for now

Steven

• Administrator
if you are not using a bitmap skin, you can add it yourself

<element id="FullNodeSelect">true</element>

but you might want to set these elements (change the colours as appropriate)
  <element id="Panel.ChildBody.Highlight" bg="160,160,160" fg="255,255,255" />
  <element id="Panel.ChildBody.Lowlight" bg="195,195,195" fg="0,0,0" />

ksvane

Cool. I'm not familiar with editing xml-files, but I can probably figure it out.

mikebo

Steven Thank you for the changes you've made so far. I know that even these seemingly small things may take a lot of your time, but the devil's in the details, so thank you for your hard work.

I have yet another set of ideas for your consideration, so here is round two:

1. Extend the headers over the scrollbar like so http://i.imgur.com/6xlEA.png, i think it would look cleaner that way.

2. Fix "MainPanelMargin.Left" and right preference in skins - Default value 0 leaves a 1px gap between the window border and the panel, this is very bad on the right side where the scrollbar is (it violates Fitts' Law). This can be fixed by setting -1 margin, but then the panel overlaps the skinned window border (in restored state). So maybe make it look like -1 sans overlapping at 0. (this is more of a bug really)

3. Refresh the icons. My proposal http://i.imgur.com/5SbuR.png these icons are from http://p.yusukekamiyamane.com/ with some modifications (grab them here). The best solution imo would be to let skin creators ship their own icons with skins if they choose to. Also it would be much easier if the icons embedded in the xml file were pngs instead. Maybe the skins could be in a zip file with a different extension (like .mbs - musicbee skin) so the skin could be applied by opening the file. In this zip file there would be both the plain xml skin and the bitmap xmlc skin + Icon folder with custom icons.

4. The new arrow expanders are a nice touch, you could apply them to parent nodes in navigator panel and in podcast (and other places if i missed sth) for the sake of consistency.

5. Add a second color for ArtistSplitterLine for a indent effect. http://i.imgur.com/TYwL0.png

6. In the Albums & Tracks view make the rows fade in (as a preference in skin settings, not everybody will like that) http://i.imgur.com/TYwL0.png

7. I would also like you to reconsider the Auto DJ toggle icon. It's not obvious that it is a trigger for sth, there is no tooltip for it or a mouseover effect to indicate that it's a button. Also the panel would look cleaner without it. I'm sure you can come up with a better place for it. I would suggest to incorporate it in the shuffle button, so like the repeat button it has 3 states - off/shuffle/AutoDJ.

I want to make it clear that these are only ideas I would like you to think about and discuss. I know that MusicBee is pretty customizable and there are other people who may use it in different ways that I didn't take into account, and the last thing I want is to make someone's experience worse.
Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:21:10 AM by mikebo

ksvane

+1 on new icons!! The current ones look like something from the MS-DOS age.

I agree on 7. too (as would Donald Norman.)

Overall creative suggestions, good to know there are others out there with aesthetic compulsions.

lnminente

Nice ideas. The zip file with images would be very nice, a lot easier than using images with base64

silasje1

+1

Also would like a better Album searcher :)
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

ma_t14

Excellent ideas again! You definitely have an eye for good design...

Blinghound

I have to agree with ma_t14, you really do have an eye for good design! Do you have a background in software design?

+1 for every improvement