Author Topic: Display active track when tracks deselected (Track Information)  (Read 2096 times)

johnmillsjr

When Track Information is set to display selected tracks, when you deselect a track, rather than continuing to display the track, could it return to displaying the currently playing/last played track?

Zak

• Global Moderator
Without wanting to hijack this request - because I don't know what OPs use case is - there could be other ways to implement this.
The reason I think an alternative might be needed is that a lot of the time MusicBee's design makes it really hard to not have something selected.

For my use, when I'm on a tagging spree, I like to use Selected Track because it's a quick way to see the bitrate, year, comments etc. of the tracks I'm working on in one spot.
But when I'm just playing music, I have to change it back to Playing Track, so I end up changing between the two a lot more than I'd like to.

So maybe an option that works like Selected Track now, but after 5-10 seconds changes back to Playing Track details automatically?
Or maybe keep displaying the Selected Track details, but update to show Playing Track info on the next track change?

It feels like these could be useful, but haven't really thought too much about the implications of either one.  :-\
OP could also say whether either would help in their scenario.
Bee excellent to each other...

johnmillsjr

Without wanting to hijack this request - because I don't know what OPs use case is - there could be other ways to implement this.
The reason I think an alternative might be needed is that a lot of the time MusicBee's design makes it really hard to not have something selected.

For my use, when I'm on a tagging spree, I like to use Selected Track because it's a quick way to see the bitrate, year, comments etc. of the tracks I'm working on in one spot.
But when I'm just playing music, I have to change it back to Playing Track, so I end up changing between the two a lot more than I'd like to.

So maybe an option that works like Selected Track now, but after 5-10 seconds changes back to Playing Track details automatically?
Or maybe keep displaying the Selected Track details, but update to show Playing Track info on the next track change?

It feels like these could be useful, but haven't really thought too much about the implications of either one.  :-\
OP could also say whether either would help in their scenario.

My use would be very similar to yours pertaining to my disographical work,  but I'd find it tedious to have it disappear would be annoying for me.

Another option would be to have a floating track window display the track is highlighted IF a track is already playing and have the window close on deselection.

But I prefer my OP personally.
Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:17:28 PM by johnmillsjr

hiccup

You are probably aware of this, and it's not ideal layout-wise, but I thought to mention it:
You can have a second 'track information (2)' panel in the same, or in a different panel.
One could display info for 'playing', the other one for 'selected'.

johnmillsjr

You are probably aware of this, and it's not ideal layout-wise, but I thought to mention it:
You can have a second 'track information (2)' panel in the same, or in a different panel.

As you say, not ideal for my layout

Zak

• Global Moderator
True. I was doing this for a while, but it wasn't the best use of screen real estate.
I'll give it another go and see if I can configure it for better pixel efficiency.
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

True. I was doing this for a while, but it wasn't the best use of screen real estate.
I'll give it another go and see if I can configure it for better pixel efficiency.
For 'tagging streaks' I had it in the Left Main Panel for a while, together with the Vertical Tag Editor.
But opening and closing these panels was too cumbersome.

( Which reminded me to post this wish today: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=33656.0 )