Author Topic: On mouse over show side panels  (Read 38284 times)

burns274

Hey,
I use the show/hide left and right panel button alot on my small Laptop screen.
A 'mouse over' feature would be really cool and would add a very modern touch.
If you hover over the icon and don't click it the sidebar just overlays the main panel without resizing (maybe even with a transparent effect).
As long as you stay with the mouse in the side panel it overlays. When leaving the panel it closes.
If you know Adobe Lightroom you know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if this is complicated to implement, but it's a handy and good looking feature.

lnminente

+1 As i am always showing/hiding left and right side pannels for having the back button always at top left, and search box at top right.

Zak

• Global Moderator
This sounds like a useful idea for people with small screens.

If that can't be implemented, hotkeys to toggle the two side panels might also be helpful.
Bee excellent to each other...

beeing good

Yeah mouseover and/or hotkey would be fantastic.

SimonBRT

+1 

I use lightroom on a laptop and the mouse-over is great for maximising space on a small screen.

I find using MB on a small screen, I would love to be rid of the left side navigation panel to maximise space for everything else, but it is just too useful to permanently hide.  This could potentially be an excellent solution...

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Definitely sounds like it would get some use
+1
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

richardap1

+1 especially if they could appear to float as well, rather than just open

Analien

+1.
Do I dare to ask to add to this, that the now playing-list when docked at bottom, should be included in this request.
At least a button to minimize/restore would be in nice as hell. Also, that floatpic was nice!

Steven

• Administrator
i'm not sure i really get this request as you can already collapse/ uncollapse the left panel with a single click, so thats all this request is saving. And to work well the left side of musicbee would need to be flush against the left screen edge and the mouse would need to be held in place for a small amount of time (otherwise anyone moving the mouse off the left side would get the left panel popping out).

I'll just mention this in case some people arent aware, but when the left panel is collapsed the nodes are still selectable from a drop-down button in the location bar at the top of the main panel

lnminente

Maybe the easiest could be to set a pin/unpin option in sidebars, and autohide the unpinned ones a few seconds after of losing focus.

I'll just mention this in case some people arent aware, but when the left panel is collapsed the nodes are still selectable from a drop-down button in the location bar at the top of the main panel

Anyway, for my case the location bar would be better, but actually it has some problems:
-It is a very small button, maybe left clicking in any part of the location bar would be better, and edit it with a right click.
-When unrolled is very thin, with more width this could be better than the left sidebar for navigating by deep folders.

stollentroll

-1  ::)
i would not mess around with that. just adds confusion and non-intuitive behaviour. MB works just fine as it is.
(just my 2 cents).

well .. thinking about it ..
if there were a way to speed up screen rebuild, when you flip left /or right section on/off,
i would be happy about that.
right now i refrain from using hide/unhide left/right sections because screen refresh takes too long.

funny thing is, flipping the bottom area (artist infos from lastfm ...) is lightning fast!

cheers! martin
Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:50:32 PM by stollentroll

SimonBRT

i'll stand by my +1 of this request.  whilst i appreciate that the left navigation panel can be docked or undocked with a single click, and that the drop down menu is also an option, both these options require navigating the mouse pointer to a very specific point.  now, i know this is hardly a large issue, but i use MB on a laptop using the mousepad rather than an actual mouse which is obviously nowhere near as fast or precise to navigate with.  the beauty of the way this feature works (for example) in lightroom, is that a brief nudge of the mouse ANYWHERE on the left edge of the screen activates the floating window (without resizing the main window and thus preserving limited space on a low resolution screen) for as long as the mouse pointer remains in the left portion of the screen.

in day to day use on my set-up the drop down menu or continually docking or undocking the panel does not feel workable and my current solution is to continually leave one tab open with the left panel open for navigation but then to spend most my MB time in other tabs with it collapsed.

anyway, this is hardly a big issue but thought i would share my 2 cents...

burns274

Here is a video to show you how it works in Lightroom.
It's a bit choppy - but that's just the screen video capture software.
Turn on sound to hear the mouse clicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsM6zI0mVSw&&hd=1

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
That looks pretty sweet
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here