Author Topic: Change song file format but keep playcount and rating  (Read 13098 times)

paq

edit:
that wouldnt copy ratings, or playcount so what i will do is create a hot-key command to copy all those values

This has been implemented in version 2.0.4572, which is nice and I thank you for that! :)

I wish though to also have it in the Edit menu to make it more visible and accessible. Also, it would minimize the risk of someone asking for this feature again, because they didn't look through the hotkeys. While the first option already is called "Copy Tags", this could be called "Copy Tags, Counts and Ratings" and be just beneath it.

illmatic

Thank you Steven for looking at my request and implementing a solution, if only all developers could be so responsive!

Just so I understand correctly: to replace an mp3 with FLAC, for example (i.e. not using the file converter), I would add the FLAC files to the library, then use the hot key to copy the tags including playcount etc. from each mp3 file and paste onto the corresponding FLAC. Then once finished for all the tracks, delete the mp3 files.

Sounds straightforward enough, obviously I'll try it out once I get chance.

Thanks again.  8)

paq

Just so I understand correctly: to replace an mp3 with FLAC, for example (i.e. not using the file converter), I would add the FLAC files to the library, then use the hot key to copy the tags including playcount etc. from each mp3 file and paste onto the corresponding FLAC. Then once finished for all the tracks, delete the mp3 files.

Yes, but you can in fact copy tags from several files, and then paste onto the same number of files, at once which is great! So you don't need to copy'n'paste for each track on an album.

However keep in mind that when you delete your mp3-files, any references to them in your playlists will also get lost. I guess if you want to keep your playlists intact you'll have to use the file converter when replacing the files.

illmatic

This works really nicely, just what I wanted to do. I especially like the way you can paste onto several tracks at once, makes it much quicker. Thanks again.

paq - I understand what you mean about the playlists, but I don't think you can use file converter when going from lossy files to lossless (unless I'm missing something - it has been known...).

paq

paq - I understand what you mean about the playlists, but I don't think you can use file converter when going from lossy files to lossless (unless I'm missing something - it has been known...).

In the File Converter dialog there is an option called "when the output file already exists, skip conversion and synchronize tag values only". I haven't tried it myself but I guess it will replace your lossy files with your lossless files if you set up the File Converter so that the resulting files would end up exactly where your lossless files already are.

wombleywoo

If anyone is interested, I have created a crowdfunding campaign to pay a developer to make a plugin which automates this process!

https://gofund.me/38c41b2e