Author Topic: Add a genre to multiple genre categories  (Read 5257 times)

J24

• Love music of all genres and cultures
For example, let “Pop-Rock” belong to the “Pop” category and also to the “Rock” category. Or let “Lebanese Pop” be part of 3 categories: “Arabic”, “Lebanese”, and “Pop”.

Currently, if you try to add a genre to more than one category, MB gives you a message saying that the genre is mapped to multiple categories and won't let you save the categories list.
I'm addicted to meth, that is, methadata.
Wanna share music recommendations? add me on Last.fm!

Zak

• Global Moderator
This has been requested more than once before. If you search you'll find older threads.

The usual reply is that implementing a many-to-many relationship instead of the current one-to-many isn't as easy to implement as people might think.
Bee excellent to each other...

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
If you search you'll find older threads.

Yes.  I posted one here myself.

Maybe Zak, or another Moderator, could merge these topics.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

J24

Oops! I think I must have searched the General Board only. I guess we might not be seeing this feature then.
The good news though, is that after some time of agonizing over what to do, I came up with a workaround that I'm glad to say I'm satisfied with.
Here it is in case anyone might be interested:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15582.0

Bee-liever

The workaround Jorge24 posted here got me thinking about this whole issue again and I may have a solution to the
it will complicate things quite a bit changing from "many-to-one" to "many-to-many"
problem.

We already have "Display Artist" and "Display Composer" so why not "Display Genre"?

But not in an editable form that shows in the Tag Editor, simply as hidden flag in MB database.

Using 'Synthpop' as an example:
1. Map 'Synthpop' to Genre Category 'Electronic'  -  no changes to current operation
2. Map 'Synthpop' to Genre Category 'Pop'           -  new operation
  • MB appends number to genre (ie. Synthpop1)
  • Display Genre 'Synthpop' created
  • MB flags Genre Category to also include any files with "Display Genre=Synthpop" when displaying Synthpop

If you were to map 'Synthpop' to another Genre Grouping, MB would save the genre as Synthpop2 etc.

Steven, when the dust settles on MB3.0, could this be a possible solution to the problem of mapping a genre to multiple genre categories?

J24

We already have "Display Artist" and "Display Composer" so why not "Display Genre"?
Where is this "Display Artist" option? Are you talking about "Sort Artist"?

Bee-liever

clicking the "..." button for 'artist:' in the tag editor brings up the 'Multiple Artist Splitter' screen.
Display Artist is found there.