Author Topic: A-Z Jump Bar to work on any focused list control  (Read 21637 times)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Presently, clicking a letter on the Jump Bar will only go to the first item in the Track Browser beginning with that letter in the sorted column. That's worded terribly, but you know what I mean.  :P

I'd like to see the Jump Bar also work with the top columns in the Track Details view. So if I have a column that displays artist names, I could click any item in that column to give it the focus, then click a button on the Jump Bar to go to the first artist beginning with that letter.

Astute readers may realise this can be done already with the keyboard, but I frequently use MusicBee to find tracks in a large library when the keyboard is not easily accessible and this change to the Jump Bar would remove the need for lots of scrolling (mainly for artist names).

Thanks again!

(As a side note, there may also be value in adding an additional jump bar button, "0-9", which could also include punctuation and other non-alpha symbols)

(As a side side note, and only somewhat related but close enough to be included here...

I just noticed that in artwork view, selecting items with the keyboard doesn't work properly for me. Pressing keys 0-9 and A takes me to the first item starting with that letter, but all other keys just take me to the same spot, about halfway through the As. Tried it with items sorted by Artist, and sorted by Album title and they both do the same. Weird.)
Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:35:05 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

jistme

To add to those wishes,

Allow to make it possible to also select the second, third, etc. character, to be able to narrow it down  to e.g.: Genesis, Gojansufi, Gorrilaz.
Program could after clicking the first letter, wait and 'listen' for a second letter for a short while (3 sec. or so?)

(and add [space] for 'The Beatles, The Killers, etc.)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Wouldn't they appear under B and K, respectively?

jistme

Not if you choose not to filter out prefixes like 'the'.
(like I do)

Zak

• Global Moderator
To add to those wishes,

Allow to make it possible to also select the second, third, etc. character, to be able to narrow it down  to e.g.: Genesis, Gojansufi, Gorrilaz.
Program could after clicking the first letter, wait and 'listen' for a second letter for a short while (3 sec. or so?)
Might be handy for pinpointing items in large collections, but in practice I think spelling out words with an onscreen keyboard would be more annoying than useful, especially when there is no way of seeing what you have already typed. And if you click the wrong letter or change your mind, would you then need to click a backspace button to correct it?

If something like this were to be implemented, a better way would be that if the search box has focus, clicking a Jump Bar button could "type" into the box. This would allow you to type full words and you could just click the "X" to clear the results when you're finished.

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
To add to those wishes,

This works already. I use it often
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

jistme

@Greenday,
I think you mean it works when using the fysical keyboard. I am sure it doesn't work with A-Z bar?

@Zak,
I think (like Windows functionality) it should just reset after waiting for 'n' time for more input.
Then there is no need to reset search or anything like that.
(Keep It Simple)

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Oh, yes. I see, I'm an idiot. Yes I mean with the k/board. I miss read :/ Apologies.
+1 then to OP
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Zak

• Global Moderator
@Zak,
I think (like Windows functionality) it should just reset after waiting for 'n' time for more input.
Then there is no need to reset search or anything like that.
(Keep It Simple)
I only asked for it to jump to the first letter. Everyone else is complicating it!  :P

How about  if one holds down a key, say the space-bar, after selecting the first letter,  it then  just appends any other letter depressed to the initial one?
My request was to make it easier to find stuff when the keyboard is out of reach.

If you already have the keyboard handy, why not just type what you're looking for?  ???

jistme

Apologies for interfering with your wishlist request  ;-)

But to be clear, my added suggestion only adds the possibilty to enter more than 1 letter.
As a user you would not notice any difference when entering only 1.

So this is only complicating it for Steven, not for the rest of us.

jistme

I just realized the option to enter second, third character etc. has been implemented by Steven. (and nobody complained ;-)

Thnx.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I just realized the option to enter second, third character etc. has been implemented by Steven. (and nobody complained ;-)
Are you talking about the jump bar, or typing with the keyboard? The keyboard has always worked that way.

The jump bar doesn't do anything for me now that it didn't do before.  :-\

jistme

I was only referring to my (added) request to be able to jump and select more specific using also 2nd and 3d characters. That did not work before, now it does.

jistme

Nobody complained, so allow me ;-)

While this has been implemented, it is almost impossible to type the second and third character fast enough when you don't type with all fingers on the keyboard.
It would be nice if some extra time tolerance between keystrokes was setup.
Something like 2 seconds would be perfect.

Thnx.