Author Topic: Horizontal filter checkpoint (pic)  (Read 8767 times)

Tomas

Now the filter looks so.

It would be desirable that looked so.

Thanks

edit:
created a direct link to the images
Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:40:38 PM by Steven

Skoop

Steven

• Administrator
strange - i dont see it but someone else reported the same so i will edit the links

paq

If one would only have artists with names made up by english letters, then there would be no point in defining 26 filters, one for each letter, when there is the "A-Z Jump bar" (click the icon next to the search field).

However I see that you are using Cyrillic letters (?) and you wish to have the filters laid out horizontally to make use of the space. But wouldn't a better wish be to make the "A-Z Jump bar" support other alphabets rather than messing with the layout of the list with filters? Also I think most people don't have one filter per letter in the alphabet since you can easily go the artist of your choice by the press of a key on your keyboard or using the "A-Z Jump bar".

boroda

However I see that you are using Cyrillic letters (?) and you wish to have the filters laid out horizontally to make use of the space. But wouldn't a better wish be to make the "A-Z Jump bar" support other alphabets rather than messing with the layout of the list with filters?
+1. Of course any additional national letters on A-Z jumpbar should be taken from library files (otherwise MB would be need to display all letters from USC). BTW, one should be careful with Asian chars (I think its senseless to implement A-Z jumbar for Japanese or Chinese).

Steven

• Administrator
what i could do is make the A-Z bar configurable in the localisation file.
But as a general comment, i have seen plenty of screenshots from asian users where the artist and tracks are still in english so the A-Z is still useful i would think

boroda

This is reasonable.
But as a general comment, i have seen plenty of screenshots from asian users where the artist and tracks are still in english so the A-Z is still useful i would think
I think English letters should be included by default in any localization file. They are usually useful.

I can foresee another problem: 26 English letters + 33 Russian letters = 59 letters. A-Z jumbar will become too wide for many screens, so either jumbar font size should be configurable or it should be possible to display jumbar in 2 rows.

VX

This is reasonable.
I think English letters should be included by default in any localization file. They are usually useful.

I can foresee another problem: 26 English letters + 33 Russian letters = 59 letters. A-Z jumbar will become too wide for many screens, so either jumbar font size should be configurable or it should be possible to display jumbar in 2 rows.

+1
but I can see no point in displaying all the letters on the A-Z jumpbar. I suggest to display only those that are preset in the Library to avoid clutter.
If there is no an artist in your music library whose name starts with R,T,Y,U for exmaple I wouldn't display these letters on the jumpbar.
Still 2 rows could be useful in some situations.

Making the A-Z jumpbar configurable in the localisation file would be useful as 'English letters' are Latin letters in general as many other alphabets, so it seems quite easy to add a few letters to customise it for any other Latin alphabet. As an example for Polish it would require to add 9 letters with diacritic marks (in the proper order).

boroda

Suggest that Polish uses different Unicode range than English, i.e. though many Polish letters may look like English ones, they have their own char codes.

Steven

• Administrator
this is done for the next version 2 update
there is a new localisation item #Main.ctl.JumpList# where you can include a set of comma separated letters. I havent put in any special handling to wrap the panel if the letters are too wide (it shrinks the font but thats existing behavior) so suggest you only add the common letters if there are a lot

M.A.X

Hey guys,

Just started using MusicBee - amazing!

Totally noob question: I have the latest version installed, can someone please explain how to add cyrillic letters to the A-Z jump bar?

Steve mentioned there is some new localisation item #Main.ctl.JumpList#. Where can I find this item? When I go to the MusicBee folder under localisation I see a bunch of .ingc files, is it in there? How do I open/edit them??

Thanks!
Max

boroda

Hi, MAX. Just use one of Cyrillic localizations. Or you can find string #Main.ctl.JumpList# in source localization file (with .lng extension). For instance Russian source localization is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/rusmusicbee

M.A.X

@boroda74: thank you for the help. So I actually want to keep my musicBee UI in English, I just want to add an additional row to the A-Z jump bar to allow me to quickly navigate to my Russian songs. Any way to do this?

boroda

I think the easiest way is to remove everything except for line #Main.ctl.JumpList# from Russian .lng (NOT .lngc) file and select this new Russian localization in MB settings.