Author Topic: "Play now" an album should allow to play tracks sorted by track#  (Read 5503 times)

klint

Hi

In Album&tracks view, when right clicking on an album to play it now, all tracks are copied to the "Now playing" list, but the sort order of the tracks there seems to be the same order as in the library.
So, if you sort the library by descending creation date, the tracks are not sorted by track# in the "Now playing" list, while this would be the natural order.

So could a new option to the "Now Playing" preferences be added to automatically sort tracks by incr. track# when an album is
added to the "Now Playing" list? Or something like that :)

Thanks

Note : this is somehow related to the issue that it is not possible to group tracks by album in the library, and list tracks by increasing track number within an album while sorting the albums themselves by descending creation date. Currently, tracks are also sorted by decreasing creation date.

Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:57:36 PM by klint

Anti

> So could a new option to the "Now Playing" preferences be added to automatically sort tracks by
> incr. track# when an album is added to the "Now Playing" list? Or something like that

By default the Now Playing List is sorted by 'playlist order' (the # column).
You can see this by: NPL -> right-click column headings -> sort by

The thing is, it doesn't need to be default. You can pick another sort, and it will be remembered.

1) in the same right-click menu, expose the 'disc-track#' or 'track#' column, and then click the column heading
OR
2) set-up a custom sort, specify album -> track number, and then choose it in the right-click menu above.

Then no matter what order your tracks are sorted in the library or playlists, they'll be sorted automatically by track number in the NPL.

klint

Hi

Actually, there is no such option "Sort by" in the Now Playlist list window for me.

And, while I can add any column to the NPL view and sort against it, firstly the sort order is just for display and not for play (I have to do a "Arrange playlist automatically" action to get the play order identical to the display order, secondly any sort order I put is not retained the next time I'm "Now playing" an album.

So, unless I missed something, the method you proposed does not work for me :(

But thanks anyway :)

Anti

In my version, right-clicking the column heading of the NPL displays a menu, and the choice at the bottom, between 'other fields' and 'customise panel settings', is 'sort-by'. Also, the selected sort is remembered.

However, you are correct that the play order follows the # column, even though the tracks are sorted by track#.
So you do need to right-click the Now Playing node -> list -> update play order.
Sorry, I forgot that.

klint

I have version 1.4.4418 in French
and right clicking on the NPL column header looks like that:

http://vvcap.net/db/z5lzTtNZiCgyp7mKjrwO.htp

Tried in English US as well, still no such option "sort-by'
But maybe I'm looking at the wrong place :)

Thanks

Anti

That isn't the Now Playing List node, which displays in the main panel.
It's the 'cut-down' version in the right-side panel.

klint

Thanks a lot for the clarification.
So, I did change the sort order in that main window and the change is reflected in the side panel view correctly.

I now run into a last issue when clicking on a album cover in the inbox or right-clicking and "Play Now".
As you can see in this screenshot  http://vvcap.net/db/5bVlLqZ_FFG97goCQU0a.htp , the first song to be played in the first one in the order of the main panel instead of being the first one in the order in the side panel (which is now track number #1).

What would be logical it that the first song to be played in the Now Playing view is the first in listed there, not the first listed in the main windows where the Playing Now is being launched from, wouldn't it?

Is there a way to obtain that?

Thanks again for your great help :)

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
*thread hijack*
This also made me think that when you doubl-click a song in album+tracks layout (or all layouts I spose) it should add only that song to now playing queue rather than the whole album
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Zak

• Global Moderator
*thread hijack*
This also made me think that when you doubl-click a song in album+tracks layout (or all layouts I spose) it should add only that song to now playing queue rather than the whole album
Setting the "Now Play" option to queue selected tracks next and play now in the Now Playing preferences will do that. You can still double click the album cover to queue the entire album.
Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:11:32 AM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
*thread hijack*
Setting the "Now Play" option to queue selected tracks next and play now in the Now Playing preferences will do that. You can still double click the album cover to queue the entire album.

Excellent. Thanks a lot!
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

klint

</HIJACK> ;)

So it seems that I have a new item for the wishlist:

add an option to the Now Playing feature to start on the first item in the list as sorted in the Now Playing side panel when one plays an album now from the library or inbox pane (by clicking on the cover for instance), instead of starting on the first item as sorted in the current pane (Library for instance, or inbox)

Shall I ask that in a new thread?

Thanks