Author Topic: Periodically sync lastfm playcount  (Read 4208 times)

Peekstra

As I scrobble my music on several devices the playcounts in MusicBee do not reflect the actual playcount statistics after a while. It would be nice if these statistics could be periodically updated, for example once every week or month (instead of forcing this manually with turning the feature off and on).

Thanks!

richardap1

You can set it to do it at restart via the plugin option

Peekstra

I overlooked the word at restart there...   :-[

However, it's already set to enabled so I'll do some further testing and post in the bugs section if anything strange comes up.

Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
it wont update playcounts for items it cant match - so if last.fm auto-renames some track tags then you will need to name them the same in musicbee in order for it to be matched. Perhaps at some future point a tool can be built to assist with aligning the tag names

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I guess on that note a plugin that scanned the library files and matched the tags with how Last.FM spells them would be awesome since LFM is probably correct
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Peekstra

I think that it's not a mismatch between my tags and those of last.fm because I'm very secure at tagging my files. I just found an example of an artist with only one song in my collection. The track playcount says 7 and the last.fm tab says 16 plays. I'll try to get some more info and make a post in the bugs section if I can find some more evidence.

EDIT: for all the anomalies I found there was a perfect explanation :)
Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:37:59 AM by Peekstra

juiceautomatica

For whatever it's worth, I came to this forum looking for a solution to the same problem. I have a single Last.fm account, and realized recently that MB wasn't syncing all of my plays. I tested out the similar script in Media Monkey, with much better results. Music Bee tells me out of 6155 tracks, I have 9 tracks that have been played 4 times. Media Monkey tells me I have 83 tracks that have been played 4 times. For some reason Music Bee has problems recording play counts for tracks that have been played multiple times. Although I like the MB interface, tagging options, and auto-playlist functions (without paid upgrades) much better than Media Monkey, I think Media Monkey is going to have to win for the play count syncing, which is the only thing I miss from the iTunes ecosystem. I'm using a HTC Incredible 2 with Simple Last.fm Scrobbler.

Iasc

I guess on that note a plugin that scanned the library files and matched the tags with how Last.FM spells them would be awesome since LFM is probably correct

hopefully a developer will be willing to take this on, would be very useful.
my play count in last fm is over 100,000 plays but syncing the play count to music bee it is only 40,000 and i have all my files tagged correctly.

Iasc

just realized how old this thread is  :-[. guess it wont be happening.

juiceautomatica

after some private message exchanges, it appears the play count sync file must have been corrupt on my pc. if you care to test my solution, search for the file LastFmPlayCountCache4.dat on your machine and delete it. the file should be located in the music bee subfolder of %appdata%. then open music bee and run the lastfm sync routine again.

it also appears that the music bee routine may be better than media monkey, particularly for tracks with multiple versions on different albums. while verifying my results, media monkey seems to be over-reporting play counts for some of my tracks. i'm not sure that either is doing a 100% perfect play count sync, but since i generally like music bee much better i know my choice.