Author Topic: Skineditor  (Read 15436 times)

Analien

How and where can I get a hold of the skineditor? I've been searching the forums but no result but dead links. I thought I'd try to make a skin.

Rotem K.

Hi Analien,

assuming you want to make a bitmap based skin, you can get the SkinCreator tool here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3834.0.

If you need any info on the very basics of skinning, search the forum for "Skinning Guide" [the guides don't have any info on bitmap skins tho].

Best of luck,
Rotem

Analien

I want to, but I started the creator but I couldn't figure out how to use it. :)

I've been looking through these skinning guides and I've gotten myself a fairly good idea of how it works. I'm currently working on a skin. The hard part is to know which element it's (the lines of code) referring to, but, setting the background colour to extremely pink helps (well, most of the time anyways) to locate the referring part in the GUI.

You should continue with theses guides, they really are excellent and well worth it's weight in gold, for us novices.

Rotem K.

It is confusing at first. don't give up.

Changing to pink or red or any striking color will help a lot, and if you can't find that pink part after the reload, just leave it, work on the next part, when you'll post your skin someone might find it and drop you a line here on the forum.

Another method of finding elements is by cutting the code in two. if the element part is still showing in the same color cut the code again, till you find a half that has that line of code within it.

If there's an element that you have no idea what effect it has on the interface or a GUI part you want to changed but can't find it's element no matter what, just ask on the forum, most chances somebody else has already struggled with the same problem.

And about bitmap skins, check the SteelAndBee skin's thread by Colagen. the first post has a link to the source files, which will give you a good start on skinning with images. 

One last tip I can give you, is to get the portable version and work on your skins there. that way you can listen to your library while skinning without disruption. Just check the new skin changes in the portable, and keep the music playing on the installed app.

Rotem