Author Topic: "1/0" (SET or NOT SET) custom tags  (Read 5347 times)

jbee

In MusicBee we have access to user-defined "custom tags", which we can call whatever we want - and set to whatever we want.

I would like to see the ability to have "custom 1/0-tags".
Tags which works like the love-tag; either it is SET or it is NOT SET (though that is not entirely true for the love-tag, but you get the idea). Maybe the user could have access to (lets say) 3 of this kind of "custom tags", and maybe have the option to pick from a small list of symbols which symbol to show when it is SET, or maybe just "circle" symbols in different colors. Maybe it could even be defined to work as the love-tag; set to either 0 (UNSET), 1 (SET) or 2 (SET-2) (with different symbols/colors for 1 and 2).

Hope this request is clear enough!

Thanks!
Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:22:57 AM by jbee

Anti

The rules already allow for that though. Eg. 'has a value' & 'has no value'
You can use things like 'Y' or 'N' or '|' or 'X' or 'O' or 'V' or + or - for your 'symbols'. Or use other letters or whole words.

What would be the difference, except for limiting the user's usage of the custom tag?

jbee

The rules already allow for that though. Eg. 'has a value' & 'has no value'
You can use things like 'Y' or 'N' or '|' or 'X' or 'O' or 'V' or + or - for your 'symbols'. Or use other letters or whole words.

What would be the difference, except for limiting the user's usage of the custom tag?

Thanks for input. What you're saying is true, but...

...if the requested type of tags did exist, it would be (I assume) fairly easy (and logical) to add these tags to "hotkey assignment" in Preference -> Hotkeys. This giving the user the ability to add a hotkey for Now Playing: Toggle 'Custom 1/0-tag [1]', which is what I guess I wanted in the first place. I guess this would be rather "complicated" (or require a lot more work, than what it would give) with the current custom tags. The idea is to add a new type of custom tags - not limiting (removing) anything.

EDIT: Also, it would give the user the ability to "click" the tag in a playlist / the music library (like "love") and it would toggle it. This is the point of this type of custom tag.
Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:02:30 PM by jbee

Anti

Thanks for your explanation.

So the important aspect of this kind of tag is that it is easily toggled from the different view columns/displays and/or by hotkey.
What kind of things would you use this 'flag' for? Do you have anything specific in mind?

jbee

Thanks for your explanation.

So the important aspect of this kind of tag is that it is easily toggled from the different view columns/displays and/or by hotkey.
What kind of things would you use this 'flag' for? Do you have anything specific in mind?

Yes! That is the important aspect. Thank you for making it clearer! I have thought of this type of "custom tags" a few times. However, now I can just recall one of my ideas.

I often play music, at random, in MusicBee "at a distance" / afk (read: laying on my couch, doing my dishes in my kitchen, etcetera).

Throughout time I've gathered quite a lot of music, and it isn't all very sorted (or even listened to). Now, when playing my music at random it happens every so often that I hear a song that I don't recognize / haven't heard before. If I like this song, I'd like to "bookmark" it for future reference (when I'm back by my keyboard and screen).

Therefore I had the idea that this type of "1/0 custom tags" could be useful. A hotkey (on my remote that I use) would "bookmark" the song, ie. Toggle 'Custom 1/0-tag [1]' on "Now Playing" song. Then I'd have an "Auto-playlist" looking for all my "bookmarked songs" which I can go through.
Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:18:05 PM by jbee

cartman005

Not saying that you would replace your current request but in the meantime, if your tracks aren't already rated, you could use one of the rating hotkeys to rate them to, say three stars and accomplish a similar result.

Anti

> A hotkey (on my remote that I use) would "bookmark" the song

That's quite a nice example. I would use the word 'flag' rather than 'bookmark', since that term is in use already.
I wonder if anyone else can think of other things they'd use this feature for?
If there's enough bright ideas, the request might gain more traction.

Or you could just get off the couch ;)

jbee

Not saying that you would replace your current request but in the meantime, if your tracks aren't already rated, you could use one of the rating hotkeys to rate them to, say three stars and accomplish a similar result.

Thanks. However, this doesn't work for me, since I do rate my tracks from 0 - 5 (using all possible ratings, even half ratings), so if I would have an auto-playlist to show me "all tracks rated 3-stars" it would show a lot of other tracks than the ones intended.

> A hotkey (on my remote that I use) would "bookmark" the song

That's quite a nice example. I would use the word 'flag' rather than 'bookmark', since that term is in use already.
I wonder if anyone else can think of other things they'd use this feature for?
If there's enough bright ideas, the request might gain more traction.

Or you could just get off the couch ;)

Yeah! I have bought a PS3 Bluetooth Remote, which I have connected and mapped to my PC to use with MusicBee, it works perfectly (for launching the app, playing, pausing, stopping, next, previous, rating, loving...)!

You're right, "flag" would probably be a better term (even imagining a "flag" as symbol here, looks nice!)

I tried that getting off the couch thing. It worked.
However, when I try "not doing my dishes" hoping for the best, they remain undone, unfortunately.
Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:53:34 PM by jbee