Author Topic: MusicBee for Linux (ubuntu)  (Read 115354 times)

LR7

Changing the temp directory seems to work, at least for me since some hours
How to set a custom Temp folder

You can make MB use a custom temp folder instead of the default Windows Temp folder when your C drive doesn't have enough free space for a task you're about to perform. Add the following with the proper path into MusicBee3Settings.ini file.

Code
<ENV_TempFolder>E:\temp</ENV_TempFolder>

poisonous097

Hi, I just managed to install MusicBee with Wine on Ubuntu, and I'm loving it. Almost everything is working, except one thing. When I try to drag and drop a song from an album to the queue/now playing window, I get an error:

Code
MusicBee v3.3.7261.33657D  (Win6.1), 19 dec 2019 17:13:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '#=z37lCrcUA9mkb' threw an exception. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type '#=zyQH8Ta37rIin' to interface type '#=ztNB$EAr5H4oa'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{83E07D0D-0C5F-4163-BF1A-60B274051E40}' failed due to the following error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE).
   at #=zDCOEcc9zNQtTU$yKE6Jr6j4=.#=z37lCrcUA9mkb..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at #=zDCOEcc9zNQtTU$yKE6Jr6j4=.#=z37lCrcUA9mkb..ctor(String[] #=zG9TJyQBfKs2$)
   at #=zlpWM7vlOZnRzBxwVf7prPpFOpng8.#=zuqOQhhffdeW$wvekOQ==.#=zY6zi0VAPDzfSuvQzAaSJVA8=.#=zq4KXnaQ5NBjj(MouseEventArgs #=zRiDv2sk=)
   at #=zC0pRT91Up5rfT$Mxl$GC1AQ=.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs #=zRiDv2sk=)
   at #=zlpWM7vlOZnRzBxwVf7prPpFOpng8.#=zuqOQhhffdeW$wvekOQ==.#=zY6zi0VAPDzfSuvQzAaSJVA8=.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs #=zRiDv2sk=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=z47NIqvY5sRVyI8m7kPqlY7E=.WndProc(Message& #=zju6a1l0=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Does anybody have a clue on this?

philipl

I'm just moving over to Linux Mint and the only Windows program I need to move is MusicBee. I have followed instructions but when installing under Wine with Winetricks I get an error message saying that MusicBee requires Windows .NET Framework version 4.6.1 or higher.   MusicBee is 3.3.7310.

Any idea what might be the problem. I have changed the Wine windows version to 7 via winecfg.

Philip

Steven

• Administrator
I get an error message saying that MusicBee requires Windows .NET Framework version 4.6.1 or higher.   MusicBee is 3.3.7310.
The installer is looking for the following in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\Release
The decimal value needs to be >= 394254
I cant comment on how to install dot net via wine

PanamaJack

Hi, I just managed to install MusicBee with Wine on Ubuntu, and I'm loving it.

Congrats! I have been struggling for the past 2 days to try to install MusicBee with Wine on Ubuntu.  It is driving me mad.  Previous instructions are getting me most of the way there but I keep getting an error message indicating that dotnet461 is needed to run and I cant get dotnet461 to install in winetricks or playonlinux.  

Any steps you used to get MusicBee up and running would be greatly appreciated.

THanks

dataGuy

I'm researching moving to Linux Mint and have read through the various threads about running MusicBee on Linux. Back at the end of January, Wine 5.0 was released. From what I've read about the changes in Wine, it seems like it should be easier to run MusicBee on Linux. Does anyone have experience installing MusicBee under Wine 5.0 yet?

Any tips you'd like to share, for a Mint newbee, trying to get MusicBee running would also be appreciated - thanks....

Cor

Hi there,

One week ago the HDD of my main pc (laptop) crashed. I had backups, so nothing worse than mild annoyance.
That was also the moment I realized I was relying on Windows far too much. So, I got one old and one ancient laptop out of the cupboard, loaded them with Linux and revived them. One of those now guards my 130 odd Gb music collection, all of my CDs's and LPs that I digitized some time ago.

And that, obviously, made me long for the one application that might persuade me to keep Windows installed on one partition, although now I want really get rid of it altogether. We all know I am talking about MusicBee.

I found this thread and went about installing Wine. Long story short: that was 4 hours ago. I did - finally - manage to install MusicBee without any error messages.

However, My euphoria was short-lived: MusicBee was added to the Wine menu, but when I click on its icon, nothing happens. Nothing. As in zilch, zip, nada, niente, nichts. Nothing at all. I wish I got an error message, but even that, apparently, is too much to ask.

I am about to give up. I've had it, to be frank. But before I do, could anyone possibly have any idea what might have gone wrong and what my next step can be. Short of downloading Windows 10 and creating a virtual machine?

Cor

Just thought I'd mention that I've given up on getting MB to work under Linux Mint 19.3 using Wine. Too many errors and far too slow. I'm still running a dual boot system with Windows 10, more or less just to be able to run MusicBee.

However, I am starting to realize that this is not a winning setup. So, I've been looking around for an alternative for MB on Linux. What I found is Guayadeque (see: https://sourceforge.net/projects/guayadeque/), which has come a long way since the early beginnings in 2012. Mind you, no player out there is as good as MB and neither is Guayadeque. It's still pretty darn good though, better even than the other alternatives mentioned in this thread, IMHO.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of using MusicBee, mind you. On the contrary: it's a fantastic piece of software that I would recommend to anyone who loves music. And I have. I'm getting more than fed up with Windows 10 though and the way Microsoft is handling updates. And what's more, Linux Mint is prettier and a lot faster than Windows 10 on the same machine. And I am at least as productive on Linux as I am on Windows. Plus, I am not a gamer, although Linux is rapidly catching up in that regard as well.

So, there you have it. I still hope that someone out there will one day port MusicBee to Linux. Until that day comes, I will live with joyful memories of MusicBee and in the presence of a somewhat lesser, but still pretty powerful god named Guayadeque.

hiccup

It seems there is quite a lot of continued demand from Linux users to get MusicBee working on their systems.
But by now it is quite safe to assume that there will never be a Linux version of MusicBee.

For me this raises a question for 'the other side' (the Linux world) on this:

Linux could be described as a coder's universe. It's population and user base probably consists of a lot of coders, and the open source concept of software is highly valued there.
(once in a while one of them breaches the Window walls and dares to tells us all software should be open-source ;-)

Instead of the occasional request for a Linux version and the effort that is put by Linux users into getting Windows' MusicBee to work on Linux, wouldn't it be much more obvious and interesting to create an open source music player/manager for Linux that resembles MusicBee's features and qualities?
There must be a lot of coding talent in the Linux world. Are they not up to such a challenge?
Or perhaps not interested in something like this?

jcursiolf

It seems there is quite a lot of continued demand from Linux users to get MusicBee working on their systems.
But by now it is quite safe to assume that there will never be a Linux version of MusicBee.

For me this raises a question for 'the other side' (the Linux world) on this:

Linux could be described as a coder's universe. It's population and user base probably consists of a lot of coders, and the open source concept of software is highly valued there.
(once in a while one of them breaches the Window walls and dares to tells us all software should be open-source ;-)

Instead of the occasional request for a Linux version and the effort that is put by Linux users into getting Windows' MusicBee to work on Linux, wouldn't it be much more obvious and interesting to create an open source music player/manager for Linux that resembles MusicBee's features and qualities?
There must be a lot of coding talent in the Linux world. Are they not up to such a challenge?
Or perhaps not interested in something like this?

Well, as a dual boot user and also developer, let me try to put some light into your questions:

- Linux could've been described as a coder's universe 8~10 years ago. Nowadays most distributions deliver an out-of-the-box experience that is most times more complete and easier to install then Windows. Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro are some of those. Still, of course a lot of coders use Linux.
- There is also this misconception that Linux software is open source and Windows software is closed source, which is also far from the truth. The OSes are like that, but that does not mean in any way that the software that runs in one or the other needs to be. Microsoft itself is open-sourcing a lot of stuff - even if at first the development-related tools, like Visual Studio Code, Powershell, the Windows Terminal, the Linux-like winget and so on (just for the sake of it, Microsoft's Official GitHub has around 3400 different repositories that are open source). But I digress.
- The effort to run a few scripts and some command line codes to make Wine to run MusicBee is NOWHERE near comparable to building something from scratch, so comparing those is not really realistic.
- Therefore, it is also not really realistic to ask "Are they not up to such a challenge?", because that is not the real world issue.
- In reality, "coding talent" code for Linux, Windows, Mac or whatever other OS. The real world issue is related to time & money, as most things are. They/we either have to do it in their/our spare time (like Steven Mayall does) or have the money to start a company for that works on developing it. If the copyright info is correct, Steven took 12 years to make MusicBee as it is in his spare time. That is not a small task.
- It would be a lot easier to port Steven's code to work on Linux than starting from scratch. He decided not to open source it and also not to port it. It IS his right to do so, as it is his project. But Linux users can always try to convince him otherwise. :)

Zer0

I share some of the same feelings as Cor and other users on this thread about dual booting Windows 10. I have had enough of Windows nonsense as a daily os and switched over. It is a real shame, honestly, that this program isn't moving to linux any time soon. I found this thread a while ago and kept my eyes on any change in this decision. I want to speak for myself now, +1 from me. I'm sure there are MANY others still just looking and waiting. I like and appreciate the decision to want to keep control of your code, it's yours, but please consider once again having some presence on linux. It is such a nice player and I haven't quite found something that can replace it for me.

phred

• Global Moderator
You can look and wait as long as you want. If you've read this and the other linux threads, you should have noticed that Steven has no intention of porting MB to linux.

Steven has already stated his intentions on this so there's really no need for him to spend any time replying to these "pleading" posts.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

musicbee4dwd

You can look and wait as long as you want. If you've read this and the other linux threads, you should have noticed that Steven has no intention of porting MB to linux.

Steven has already stated his intentions on this so there's really no need for him to spend any time replying to these "pleading" posts.

My friend and I are both moving to Linux. We've been building PCs and coding since 1988. His previous job was a software engineer for NASDAQ.

Anyway, he's buying the new Linux based phone Librem 5. He just shot me an emailed me and said he has all his rigs now running Linux Ubuntu, as of today, including his gaming rig and his media rig, and said he has no problems yet, not even with drivers. I've been wanting to move for years, and back when Windows 8 came out, I did for a short time, but didn't have the time to fully move.

The only thing I will miss about Windows is Music Bee. :(

Maybe it will work if someone adjust one of the emulators so it can run under Linux.? Here is to hope!
Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 05:54:41 PM by musicbee4dwd

phred

• Global Moderator
I've learned long ago never to assume anything. With that I point you to this thread about how to set up MB under WINE. Perhaps you missed it.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17074.0
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

dataGuy

For me, I gave up on trying to get MB to run under Wine. I tried many different things but somehow MB was never happy with DotNet. I have since gotten rid of Wine and the various MS apps; dumping MS is why I switched to linux in the first place.

Since then I've tried many different music libraries running on Mint. The one that came closest to giving me what MB gave me on Windows is "gmusicbrowser". After going through the learning curve I'm basically happy now and don't miss MB anymore.