Author Topic: Option to disable volume control in MB  (Read 6497 times)

kstuart

Of course, it is reasonable to provide a volume control for those who have no volume control anywhere in the chain after MusicBee.

However, for those who do, it is better to disable it, especially since (unlike fb and XM) MusicBee does not have a visual indicator of the actual volume setting.

Just an .ini file option would be quite sufficient, since it is likely a one time change that most people will not care about.

Thanks !

PS Here is a good explanation of why this is needed:

Quote from: nitramluap
For any linear digital audio encoding process, the bit depth determines the resolution of the volume levels the format can reproduce. For example, for 16 bit audio there are 65536 possible volume levels between dead silent & the absolute maximum possible level (digital clipping). For 24 bit audio there are about 16.7 million levels.

So let's say that you want to turn down the volume at the digital output. The only way to do this is by throwing away all of those levels louder than the desired volume by scaling the output to what is effectively a lower bit depth. One half as loud means the most significant bit ("MSB") will never be a one; half that loud & the next MSB won't be used, & so on.

At first, this doesn't seem so bad but the problem is the human ear doesn't interpret "one half as loud" as you might think: hearing is logarithmic (which is why we usually use the logarithmic unit "dB" to measure it), so a sound that is 1/2 the intensity of maximum is only slightly quieter to the ear. Depending on the maximum level the digital input device can produce, it could easily be necessary to scale the digital output to one ten thousandth or less of the maximum output just to achieve a comfortable level, & to scale it much smaller still for background music levels.

So, for an effective volume control with a usable range from "very quiet" to "full tilt" you would really be going from "miserably inadequate resolution" to "high quality resolution."

If you want to hear just how miserable sounding the quiet settings would be, & you have any sound editing software that can change digital volume levels of samples, try this:

Select a short sample & reduce it by 40 dB. Save it & then renormalize that saved sample to full scale. Listen to the result & compare it to the original. Not too pleasant, is it?

cartman005

There is a new preference for logarithmic volume control if that's what you want.

boroda

Well, kstuart, I think setting volume control to 100% in MB should do the trick for you.

kstuart

Well, kstuart, I think setting volume control to 100% in MB should do the trick for you.
Yes, but unlike some other players, the MB volume control does not show the numerical setting, so you cannot tell if it is 90% or 100%.
If one is using a volume control on the amplifier, then it is better to just disable it with an optional setting.

Greb

Mmm... how about bringing the volume slider to the very right?  ::)

But anyway, why would you put MB volume at minimum (let's say -10dB or -15dB) and then amplify it with some analogic amplifier?
Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:26:31 AM by Greb

Anti

> the MB volume control does not show the numerical setting

If you right-click the tray icon, you can set the volume by exact percentage.

ma_t14

That is the system volume though...

boroda

No, its an MB volume. Anti meant MB tray icon (if its enabled in MB prefs), not system volume tray icon.

ma_t14

No, its an MB volume. Anti meant MB tray icon (if its enabled in MB prefs), not system volume tray icon.

Oh, I see. I can understand the reasoning behind this request and wouldn't mind to have that implemented as I own an external dac with volume control myself. I don't think it would be difficult to implement even if this setting would not visible anywhere. I think would be sufficient to have ini file that overides the configuration when created for example.

Anti

So if the slider was disabled, what output level would MB be set at? 100% presumably?
What would be the difference between that and moving the slider fully to the right?

Also, doesn't this mean that the volume control range on the DAC or stereo system
would have to be less for a comfortable volume? Eg. 1-3 on the dial rather than say 1-7?

ma_t14

So if the slider was disabled, what output level would MB be set at? 100% presumably?
What would be the difference between that and moving the slider fully to the right?

Also, doesn't this mean that the volume control range on the DAC or stereo system
would have to be less for a comfortable volume? Eg. 1-3 on the dial rather than say 1-7?

Yes, 100%. No difference at all. Have you read the text quoted in the first post? This is just nitpicking, don't try to take it TOO seriously. It's just a nice audiophile option to have for people with hardware volume control.

kstuart

I haven't seen that before, because I don't use the player volume. ;)

Since the indication is not in the tray icon menu itself, then the user has to move the mouse to the right, exactly at the word Volume, every time he wants to check the setting.   So that is not practical - a "disable it and forget it" would be helpful.

BTW, there has been a discussion of this one or two times previously, in "audiophile settings" threads.

lnminente

+1 It takes a lot of space wich the seek/progress bar could use instead for better seeking in long files like podcasts.

I have the habbit of changing only the general volume in the icon of windows to avoid scary loudy sounds from other apps.

ma_t14

+1 It takes a lot of space wich the seek/progress bar could use instead for better seeking in long files like podcasts.

I have the habbit of changing only the general volume in the icon of windows to avoid scary loudy sounds from other apps.

But I think that would require specific work to be done in every single skin  :-\
Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:24:43 PM by ma_t14

kstuart

Yes, a disable option would not necessarily need to change the visual appearance.