Author Topic: Disc burner  (Read 25646 times)

cartman005

CD's seem like a highly inefficient way to back up a music library. I think audio/mp3 cd's should suffice for most.

boroda

I meant data CDs/DVDs, not the audio CDs.,

Skoop

In that case, the app is going to have to span disks. 

boroda

In that case, the app is going to have to span disks. 
I think this would be great.

blockhead

I occasionally burn MP3 DVDs, but this may be out of scope for this efort.

ma_t14

I occasionally burn MP3 DVDs, but this may be out of scope for this efort.

Interesting... But I would like to know how widely is that format  supported outside of computers?
Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:07:19 PM by ma_t14

Steven

• Administrator
it will support creating data discs where everything is converted to MP3 (although i called it MP3 CD as thats whats it commonly known as)

blockhead

Ma_t14, the disc player in my car will play MP3 CDs (physically it is a DVD).  So the format is available on more than just computers.  Also my home entertainment DVD will play MP3 DVDs.

ma_t14

Ma_t14, the disc player in my car will play MP3 CDs (physically it is a DVD).  So the format is available on more than just computers.  Also my home entertainment DVD will play MP3 DVDs.

Thanks for the info, glad to know  :)

Steven

• Administrator
anyone interested to try out the disc burner, its now ready:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k87j7ttbmsjsria

as mentioned before XP is not supported, although i might consider a subset of functionality (audio cd only, with 2 sec gap) and MP3 cd. I have only tested this on Win7, but i am not expecting Vista to behave any differently

Its accessed from Tools/ Burn Disc where files or playlists can be dragged into the panel
or right click on a playlist in the left panel/ Burn Playlist to Disc

ma_t14

Just burned an audio cd and it seems to be working as expected. Just some of observations:

* It doesn't seem possible to remove files once you add them to the list of files to be burned. You can uncheck them but deleting them is not possible.
* I really liked the idea that you can just drag and drop files, makes things so much easier. But to take better advantage of this I think it would be better to able to dock the burner window in the same way it is possible with the tag editor.
* Burning at low speeds doesn't seem possible like 1x, 2x, 4x etc. Not going to use it myself I know some people tend to use such low speeds for serious work when they want a "perfect" copy.

Other than these 3 things I found the new burning functionality really good and sufficient for my  needs at this point. I will come back to you if I find anything else worth reporting...

Steven

• Administrator
glad its working!

* Burning at low speeds doesn't seem possible like 1x, 2x, 4x etc. Not going to use it myself I know some people tend to use such low speeds for serious work when they want a "perfect" copy.
the speeds shown are the ones actually supported by the drive/media as reported by the Microsoft API - i think other apps show a pre-defined list of speeds but that doesnt necessarily mean its the actual recording speed they use.

Steven

• Administrator
i would also be interested if someone could confirm that MP3 CD option is working with the player they use

ma_t14

Another observation, after I burned the audio cd it seems that the tags of the tracks are missing. I am not that familiar with  burning audio cds so maybe its a limitation I am not aware of..  ::)
Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:33:30 PM by ma_t14

VX

Thanks a lot for implementing this 8)

I'll check it out as soon as I have access to my PC with Windows 7 (I'm running my friend's laptop with WinXP at the moment).

* I really liked the idea that you can just drag and drop files, makes things so much easier. But to take better advantage of this I think it would be better to able to dock the burner window in the same way it is possible with the tag editor.

I totally agree with mat_14.