Author Topic: Play More -> Play Artist  (Read 5081 times)

richardap1

When using the above from the new style Now Playing panel it plays the artist shuffled, however if you do it from the main panel or the player and it plays the artist by albums.

Anti

> from the new style Now Playing panel

What's the 'new style' now playing panel?

> it plays the artist shuffled, however if you do it from the main panel or the player and it plays the artist by albums

That's the same behaviour as 'play more -> play similar -> [artist]'.

Personally, I would prefer this option to play grouped by album by default, because you can easily shuffle it.
But if it starts off shuffled, it's not so easy to re-group the tracks into albums, if that's what you wanted.

I agree that there should either be some logic to the behaviour being different, or some consistency between the panels.

As an additional bug in relation to this feature, if you:
'right-click the MAIN now playing list (in 'track detail' view) -> play more...'
the menu contains a duplicate entry for 'play artist'.

Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:07:14 PM by Anti

richardap1

> from the new style Now Playing panel

What's the 'new style' now playing panel?

The Album and track view Now Playing that was added recently, but to be honest I have just tried both view and it is the same

If you Play More -> Play Similar then that doesn't play shuffled in either case (either from the NP panel or Main Panel)

Anti

> If you Play More -> Play Similar then that doesn't play shuffled in either case

Hold on just realised... it depends on the VIEW you do it from. Eg.

MAIN PANEL LIBRARY
album & tracks or artwork view = resulting list is grouped by album
track detail view = shuffled

MAIN PANEL NOW PLAYING
album & tracks or artwork view = shuffled

RIGHT PANEL NOW PLAYING
album & tracks view = shuffled

PLAYER
The right click option on the player seems to generate the list based on whichever view the main panel has loaded.

Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:20:54 PM by Anti

richardap1

Right click in a MAIN PANEL view that shows 'album and tracks' or 'artwork', then the resulting list is grouped by album.
But right click in a MAIN PANEL view that shows track detail view, then the resulting list is shuffled.

Yep that seems right it does depend on the VIEW. However original point is still valid, when the Now Play list is grouped by album it plays shuffled, but when displaying as tracks it plays works as expected.

Steven

• Administrator
it should return a shuffled list of tracks when using play more/ artist xxx
and going through the combinations in all cases its shuffling for me - i would be surprised if its not doing the same where-ever you call the function from as its the same code. Are you sure its not simply that you have the panel sorted a particular way ie. if its sorted by album/track it looks like its unshuffled

edit:
just read your last reply and yes i find the same
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:51:12 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
actually i remember now what i did - if you have album and tracks view displayed then the results are shuffled, but shuffled by album (on the basis that if you are viewing in album and tracks view you are probably interested in listening by album)
comments on that welcome

Anti

How difficult would it be to make ALL 'album & tracks' and 'artwork' views shuffle by album, from any pane?
At the moment, the library pane seems inconsistent with the other panes.
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:24:24 PM by Anti

richardap1

Personally I would prefer the 'play more' to play as albums as there is, like you said, an easy way to shuffle it once it's in the now playing panel, and there is already a separate context menu to play all tracks shuffled.

Anti

I'd prefer the feature to always create a list grouped by album, for the same reason.

However, if the idea is to guess user intention, Steven's correct that most people would be in 'track detail' view because they have a list of shuffled single tracks. So they may expect a shuffled list to be created, rather than grouped by album.

On the other hand, at least getting a grouped list gives the user a choice of whether to then shuffle or not, whereas assuming their intention removes that choice.