Author Topic: Deleting Temp Files  (Read 5548 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Steven...

As great as MB is, there is still one part of it that (IMHO) needs to be addressed, and that is the automatic deletion of temporary files.

When MB updates an external device, it creates temp files in C:\Docs and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp and never go away unless they are manually deleted.  After a period of time one starts getting 'low disc space' warnings in Windows XP.  I had over ten gigs of free space on my C drive and during a recent updating of my nano, the drive became full.  I was manually deleting while MB was still updating.

That being said, could you add some code that would automatically delete these files when MB closes?  You could make it user-selectable should there be a user who wants to keep them.  Or upon exit you could have a pop-up asking if the user wanted to delete the temp files.   If there's a reason to keep these files, could you at least let the user select where the temp files should be created?  That way I could direct them to a drive that's got a lot more free space and wouldn't impact performance as the system drive fills up.

Thanks for you thoughts on this.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
it should be deleting the temp files already, so i would classify this as a bug. I had noticed it myself sometimes but thought it because i often stop and start MB with a debugger. Anyway i will look into it

phred

• Global Moderator
I will keep a closer eye on this also.  I know there were MB temp files in that directory today that were created yesterday.  I don't know if yesterday there were files in there that were created prior to yesterday.  I guess I'll try to remember to look there before I launch MB for the next few days.  I don't want you chasing bugs that don't exist. 

But that brings me back to a point I made in the first post on this topic.  When doing a huge transfer from MB to the device, a large number of temp files are created (that are probably deleted when MB exits) and continue to grow in number during the transfer eventually (in my case) causing the system drive to become close to full.  Can the directory for these temp files be user-selectable?  And still be deleted when MB exits?

So technically, this is still a 'wishlist' item.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
i did some investigation and i did find a circumstance it leaves pictures in the temp folder when synching to a portable device, so i have fixed that.
I can add a setting for the temp file location - might make it something you configure in the settings file yourself though as i am running out of space on the preferences screen in the logical place it should go

phred

• Global Moderator
I can live with that.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
with the latest 1.1 beta version (from yesterday), the temp files should be deleted immediately (if any remain now its a bug).
just regarding the temporary directory location - I think you can change it in XP itself to a drive that better suits:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-36417-XP-Pro-How-Do-I-Change-The-Default-Temp-files-Directory.html