Author Topic: Folder drag/drop  (Read 2662 times)

voon

By the way, is there a way, to not just provide the file, but also the directory structure up a few levels? I have difficulties with compilation Albums. Since the structure on my harddisk is Artist/Album, I don't really know how to properly copy such an Album to my mp3 player. Currently, I just look at the Path with the Album open in MB and copy the files manually. If I just mark the whole Album and drag it over into a windows explorer with the mp3 player open, I just copy the files themselves. But sicne I want to maintain the same filestructure on the mp3 player as on the harddisk ..... how do I do that? How do I effortlessly  copy a whole compilation Album over to a player, maintaining the directory structure I use for moving/ripping etc (i.e. codec/artist/album/file)?

boroda

By the way, is there a way, to not just provide the file, but also the directory structure up a few levels?
+1

Steven

• Administrator
i could implement something where if you drag/drop a folder node to a folder node on a device - all done within musicbee

voon

Cool, but seems not to yet be, what I had in mind :) It would be nice, if somewhere in the configuration, you could say "Remember up to X levels of folders" ... and then you could grab anything ... an Album, a single Track ... whatever in the playlist view, and it would always copy the exact same thing to the destination: X levels of folders, no matter what. But mainly, I'd like to grab a track in the playlist, drag an drop it anywhere (players inside MB, explorers outside MB, desktop .. whatever) and it will recreate the X levels of folders ... so if my library entry was:

X:\flac\Sons of Yoodle Doodle\PengPeng Whop\Song of seven birds sitting in a lava pool. flac

And my configuration says : "Recreate folderstructure 3 Folders up"

Then I could grab the song in the playlist and drop it on a player, creating:

Y:\flac\Sons of Yoodle Doodle\PengPeng Whop\Song of seven birds sitting in a lava pool. flac

Or drop it on the desktop and it starts with the flac folder etc. it be also nice if you could grab the PengPeng Whop Album as well and it does the same, but will all songs of the Album etc.

Maybe the most consisten thing woul dbe to have a place in the config, where you setup the "Drag and Drop to External" rules ... where you could again put together an <tag1>\<tag2> etc path and it will just create that ... like you have a definition for organizing/moving files, but minus the base path (which is defined by where you drop them) .. that's maybe the best solution ... coul deven just make use of the organize/move rules.

For players, I'm not quite sure, what MB does, yet, though ... if a "player" is just any detected external harddisk to MB and nothing else?
Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:19:02 PM by voon

Steven

• Administrator
no, your requirement is too specific to yourself and i want to avoid adding options that are obscure to most people

under the new drag/drop approach you would drag X:\flac\ to your device which would preserve the sub-folder heirarchy. If you only wanted to drag specific files in the sub-folder you would need to apply a search filter so the main panel is only populated with the files you want

voon

Is it? All I'd like is to drag single songs over to the device, maintaining folder structure ... but out of a very general playlist ... like all the songs with a ***** rating or so. I can't do that using a windows explorer easily, i'd need to drag and drop from MB. Maybe I just have still not understood how you'd do that easily ;( if I just filter all my music in MB with **** and drag and drop them, I had only the files before ... with your new change I think I have things up to album/artist/file level or so, missing the codec? Mabye I'm just confused, sorry.