Author Topic: MTP Device Not Recognized in MusicBee  (Read 35813 times)

Phntm

Hello, I have a Cowon D2 and it works perfectly with MusicBee on my desktop PC (Windows 7), but on my laptop (Windows XP) MusicBee will not recognize it as a MTP Device. Windows itself recognizes it, Windows Media Player see it as an MTP device and another program recognizes it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled MusicBee and I am running the latest version. I will recognize the device if I switch it to MSC, but then the playlists don’t work properly.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Steven

• Administrator
Only thing i can immediately think of is to check whether you have enabled MTP device detection in the main preferences screen?
(i wish it wasnt necessary to do that but automatically enabling MTP detection causes MB to fail startup on a few peoples Vista machines for reasons i dont know yet)

Just out of curiousity, why dont the playlists work in MSC mode - is it because the file paths in the playlist are not valid any more?

Phntm

Yes, I have the MTP enabled. I have turned it on and off thinking it might "reset" something. When I select "detect MTP Devices and click on Device it tells me "Please plug in the device you want to configure first".
All other applications recognize it, but MusicBee does not.

Steven

• Administrator
could you have a look at the error log (View/ Error Log) and see if there are any entries around the time it starts up and the device is plugged in (and the preference enabled beforehand).
If nothing, i will proabably need to give you a debug version but i wont be able to do that until the middle of the week

Phntm

Steven

• Administrator
actually with the version you have, if you locate: MusicBeeSettings.ini in the folder the musicbee library is located
and edit the 3rd line:
  <SystemDebugMode>true</SystemDebugMode>

then on restarting with the device attached, it should log some info to the error log. Could you send me that.
I cant recall if it disables that option afterwards, so you might want to undo that setting afterwards

I'll move this topic to the Portable Device Bugs section

Phntm

Ok, here is the error log:

9/20/2009 12:30:47 PM - 1.0.3429.14496 - System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (366, 43). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Instance validation error: 'ToolsAutoTagAlbum' is not a valid value for ApplicationCommand.
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read1_ApplicationCommand(String s)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read9_KeyCommandPair(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read21_ApplicationSettings(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read22_ApplicationSettings()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader)
   at #=qEUR2W6Zr1b7FqjR9ekqVmtHc$DuMy0S_D$l$E7Mrle0=.#=qmRO357dwmCPWrMDf4tIvIA==(#=qjks2mcIp2nQLeyWuxQxlEbzTza9j4JBwA5tHobvCtKY= #=qoM9b6ghIUYcykrCKh4Qkog==)
   at #=qEUR2W6Zr1b7FqjR9ekqVmtHc$DuMy0S_D$l$E7Mrle0=.#=qaCv_KXDMXDvA9BgsC9W7Vg==(#=qjks2mcIp2nQLeyWuxQxlEbzTza9j4JBwA5tHobvCtKY=& #=qoNr930T2WnGYGs4ZNWYLNcCdcG2AZ3tqdQBBEGwjHcw=)
   at #=qnPRBgFn0C02wNa5u1_tsNXnElX_OoSckNXam2iR9_eM=.#=q_B$nhi9uUUu0mnKbB$MzQ6Akg0khnaJriRFwGhOwshk=.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs #=qHIJ8hURfvHcnNRH96VvwJw==)

9/20/2009 12:30:54 PM - 1.0.3429.14496 - System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (366, 43). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Instance validation error: 'ToolsAutoTagAlbum' is not a valid value for ApplicationCommand.
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read1_ApplicationCommand(String s)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read9_KeyCommandPair(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read21_ApplicationSettings(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApplicationSettings.Read22_ApplicationSettings()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader)
   at #=qEUR2W6Zr1b7FqjR9ekqVmtHc$DuMy0S_D$l$E7Mrle0=.#=qmRO357dwmCPWrMDf4tIvIA==(#=qjks2mcIp2nQLeyWuxQxlEbzTza9j4JBwA5tHobvCtKY= #=qoM9b6ghIUYcykrCKh4Qkog==)
   at #=qEUR2W6Zr1b7FqjR9ekqVmtHc$DuMy0S_D$l$E7Mrle0=.#=qaCv_KXDMXDvA9BgsC9W7Vg==(#=qjks2mcIp2nQLeyWuxQxlEbzTza9j4JBwA5tHobvCtKY=& #=qoNr930T2WnGYGs4ZNWYLNcCdcG2AZ3tqdQBBEGwjHcw=)
   at #=qnPRBgFn0C02wNa5u1_tsNXnElX_OoSckNXam2iR9_eM=.#=q_B$nhi9uUUu0mnKbB$MzQ6Akg0khnaJriRFwGhOwshk=.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs #=qHIJ8hURfvHcnNRH96VvwJw==)

9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - Refresh active devices=0
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - scan all drives
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - initialise non-usb device
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - id=C:\
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - root folder=C:\
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - initialise non-usb device
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - id=Z:\
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - root folder=Z:\
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - checking for network drives
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - Z:\ = \\Killzone\MP3\
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - checking manually mapped unc paths
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - checking for MTP devices
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - no MTP devices detected
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - load settings
9/20/2009 12:53:32 PM - Refresh completed, active devices=0,added=0,removed=0

Steven

• Administrator
that error relates to having problems loading the settings file - by the looks of it you are running an old version 1.0.3429 against the settings file created with a more recent version
the current released version is 1.1.3544.

However it also has the log info i need but unfortunately doesnt help, so will still need to create a debug version

Steven

• Administrator
i've had a close look at the code and the relevant part of the error log and the windows api call i use that detects MTP devices can only be returning no MTP devices are detected - its not even returning any error by the looks of it.
You mentioned that other players are able to see the device as MTP device. Could you let me know which ones or is it just WMP? And also which version of WMP are you using?
Just so you know, MB should work on XP as i use my own MTP device quite regularly on an XP machine without problems. My suspiscion is some extra software needs to be installed so thats why i need the information about the WMP version and which other players are working with it on your XP machine
Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 06:50:12 PM by Steven

Phntm

Just to add some more to this post. I uninstalled MusicBee, removed all files, all registry entries and any reference to MB that I could find. I downloaded the latest Beta along with the updates. Installed, and I still can not detect any MTP Devices. I have tried my Cowon D2, my Sansa E270, Sansa Fuze.
Both WinAmp v5.56 and Windows Media Player version 10 recognize the devices as MTP Players. Also, MusicBee on my Windows 7 machine recognizes all of the devices correctly.

Phntm

Also, all of the devices are recognized in Helium Music Manager 2009.

Steven

• Administrator
i think i know what it is - for the API i use, i think you will need to do one of the following:
- install Windows Media Player 11
- or alternatively install Windows Media Format 11 Runtime (you can keep WMP 10 that way) - you can get it from many places eg. http://www.brothersoft.com/windows-media-format-11-runtime-168601.html

Phntm

Hi Steven,
I installed the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime to no avail, then as a last ditch effort I broke down and installed Windows Media Player 11 and that did the trick.
It now recognizes all of the devices! Nice call. Thank you for your patience and persistence in resolving this issue!!   :)

Steven

• Administrator
glad to hear its ok now. I'll include that info in the help system. Strange it didnt work with the runtmime though as I'm using WMP10 on my XP machine, although i installed the WMP SDK as well so perhaps thats what did the trick for me

netean

further to this. Do you, STeven, or anyone else know if you can enable mtp support with a full blown copy of windows media player 11?

I have 1 mtp device (nokia n95) and an ipod and it just seems loony to HAVE to have the wmp garbage installed just to enable mtp support - effectively I have to have 3 media managers/players. iTunes, WMP11 and my app of choice, Musicbee.

I'm on the cusp of uninstalling wmp11 - as I can live without mtp support and just don' t need it clogging up my machine with random M$ft chaff, but if there's a way to uninstall wmp and keep mtp support, all the better.

just thought I'd ask, in case anyone knew?