Author Topic: Genre search improvements  (Read 3437 times)

butler360

Currently when I go to "Auto-tag by Album" or track, the genre pulled from the internet is almost always something more generic than what I'm looking for. Almost everything I have comes up as "Rock." The best system I've found yet for getting a more specific genre is the autotagger script for mediamonkey that pulls genre information for the top x (configurable) hits from last.fm. Polvo, for example, comes up as "Rock" on musicbee and "Math Rock" on mediamonkey. Minor Threat = "Rock" on musicbee, "Hardcore" on mediamonkey. This works very well but last.fm has a number of non-useful tags in the top slots as well (female vocalists, for example, which is hardly a genre), so it has a configurable blacklist and whitelist.

On another thread you said genre already comes from discogs and last.fm as well but I don't see any way to access any varying genre info.

Steven

• Administrator
i already pull the last.fm tags but currently i give priority to discogs if a match is found
i do tend to agree with you the discogs tags are pretty generic but my thinking was the last.fm werent really genres in some cases. However as you suggest, with a black/white list it would be more useful

Steven

• Administrator
for the next update i have added a Services preference where you specify the ordering for genre retrieval (still last.fm or discogs), with last.fm now as highest priority by default and for last.fm you can enter a set of values to be excluded.
Also on the album and track auto-tagger i have added a button that allows you to choose a genre from all the suggested genre tags