Author Topic: Display Date Created  (Read 14158 times)

buzzio

It would be extremely helpful if MusicBee could display the "Date Created" field that is displayed when using Windows Explorer. This field is not stored in the ID3 tags - it's a field Windows stores for every file. This way, I could sort my music based on when the mp3 file was added to my computer.

The "Date Added" field in MusicBee is the date the file was added to MusicBee. This isn't much help for all the files that were created before MusicBee was installed, since all the existing mp3 files will show the date that MusicBee was installed.

Alternatively, it would be great if there was a way to populate one of the custom fields with the file created date. Someone wrote a script to do this in MediaMonkey, see http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35656

Thanks!

boroda

Maleko12

boroda

I've added requested option. See plugin topic for details.

buzzio

boroda74 - THANK YOU! I'm amazed at how quickly you were able to do this.

Just one thing - when I store the <Date Created> field into one of the Custom fields, MusicBee doesn't know that the field is a date field, and so when sorting on that field, it treats it as a alphanumeric field. This resultant sort shows all songs in January, then February, etc. regardless of year.

Is there another tag I should copy the <date created> tag into that MusicBee will treat as a date field, or would it be possible to create the field in the yyyy/mm/dd format so that an alphanumeric sort works?

Thanks again!

boroda

or would it be possible to create the field in the yyyy/mm/dd format so that an alphanumeric sort works?
I think, yes. BTW maybe its worth to remove TIME from date created tag?

buzzio

Yes, I don't have any need for the TIME, just the DATE.

The reason to sort by date is to manage the new songs - rate them, add them to playlists, etc. So date matters, time doesn't.

Thanks again!

boroda

buzzio, please see 'official' plugin thread for update.

June

I know it's a very old thread but is this plugin still available? It seems I can't find it in plugin forum = /

June

Thanks for the quick reply on this dead thread! But could I ask just how to import 'Date Created' tag from windows explorer to one of those custom tags?

I'm only used to simple ID3 tag editing so far and have had no luck finding solution on my own : /

Much appreciated

redwing

I never used this feature, but it seems the field is only available from Tools> Tagging Tools> Copy tag... command. It looks like the intended use was to manually copy the field values to any custom field and add the custom field to main panel.

@boroda74:

If the field is also available from ASR presets, then copy preset could be auto-applied to auto-copy the field.

boroda

@redwing
I've added <Date created> pseudo-tag to ASR command. As you said it may be used in 'Copy tag' ASR preset.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gau7psb24s1p7je/mb_TagTools_2014-02-28.zip