Author Topic: Cataloging and playing DSD files  (Read 63680 times)

frankcreed

Hi Steven,

I tried out the new MB version, and unfortunately, it is still converting DSD to 88.2 kHz PCM.  Just to verify: I turned off all effects in "Preferences -> Player -> Sound Effects", and no equalizer / dsp is selected.  I also verified that the same DSD files are received as DSD files when using foobar2000 with foo_dsd_asio.dll plugin.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information, and thanks again for a great player.

Steven

• Administrator
you might also need the latest bass.dll file - replace the existing one in the MB folder
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gczhw123y2hbhqm/bass.dll

frankcreed

Hi Steven,

unfortunately, even with the new bass.dll, MB is still converting to DSD to 88.2 PCM.  Thanks for your quick response on a Saturday :-).

Steven

• Administrator
i have taken out the sample rate check on the device. If it still forces PCM then i would need someone to run a debug version

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

frankcreed

Hi Steven,

something really broke in that latest release (2.5.5433).  When I play a DSD file, I only hear white noise, and my DAC reports the incoming file is 352.8 khz PCM.  I did a quick test of some other PCM files, and MB does correctly play 44.1 PCM and 192 PCM. 

Let me know how I can help further.

Alumni

I just tried putting my mode back on ASIO but it won't play anything, gives a BASS error.
I'm assuming that WASAPI is not sufficient for DSD playback? (my DAC is ASIO compatible)

frankcreed

Hi Steven,

OK, I have some mixed progress to report with the latest MB build.  DSD files still sound like white noise when output=ASIO, but my DAC is recognizing a DSD file.  However, then MB locks up, and won't play anything (PCM or DSD).  Here is the sequence of steps I ran:
play 44.1 PCM (OK)
play DSD64 (DAC recognizes DSD, white noise playback, MB locks up.  I have to kill MB, disconnect and reconnect my DAC, and re-start MB to play music again).
Also, this is probably not important now, but MB is sending DSD64 and DSD128 files as DSD64.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

P.S. if output = WASAPI, MB converts DSD to 88.2 PCM (and they play just fine)

Steven

• Administrator

frankcreed

Hi Steven,

I'm sorry to report that I'm experiencing the same "white noise" for DSD files with the latest version (5436).  Thank you so much for your perseverence.

Frank

Steven

• Administrator
in that case i will remove support for playing native DSD files and revert to having them converted to PCM as before

frankcreed

I'm sorry that you couldn't get native DSD support going, but I do want to thank you for your great support!

frankcreed

Hi Steven,

Nope - same 'white noise' problem with DSD files, and then MB locks up.  The version number is 5436 - is this supposed to be different from the last version?