Author Topic: Cataloging and playing DSD files  (Read 63661 times)

Steven

• Administrator
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9gkx6dpkc6utqy/MusicBeeTestDsd.zip?dl=1
unzip and replace the existing musicbee.exe file

In the Player Settings panel, when ASIO is selected as the output mode, click the Configure button and you can set the bit-streaming mode for DSD files.
- default is PCM which means MB converts the data to PCM which allows equaliser, dsp, tempo control, resampling etc
- raw DSD: The ASIO device must natively support DSD data. When selected, if you have any equaliser, dsp enabled then MB will switch to PCM mode because the sound data cannot be modified in any way
- DOP: Some devices support DSD over PCM bit format, which is also bit-perfect. As with raw DSD, the sound data cannot be modified in any way so MB will switch to PCM if necessary.

For this version, MB will log info to the error log. Even if you think its working can you check the error log and send me the recent info logged at the end of the file

ChilliMeat

I’ve tried it for 5 min and when I set raw DSD the songs seem to be playing, but "terrible squeaking" sound came from the speakers. But the TEAC Control Panel showed right frequency - 2.8MHz. When I switched to DoP I heard only noise. In both case equaliser and DSP were off. I’ll test it better when I come back from work.

PS. Where can I find the error log file?

Steven

• Administrator

Hiatus

For some reason I can not select ASIO for my device (Xduoo ta-10 - this ought to support ASIO, if I remember correctly I have used it before). I have a Focusrite saffire too, for which I can select ASIO, but that is not a DSD capable device.

ChilliMeat

So I tried it little more and my findings are:

Stream DSD data as PCM (DOP) - plays 176,400Hz - seems OK now - ErrorLog:

13.11.2017 16:38:03 - codec=Dsd,bit stream=2,decode=False,eq=False,dsp=False,resample=0,upmix=0,tempo=0
13.11.2017 16:38:03 - bit stream set=2
13.11.2017 16:38:22 - codec=Dsd,bit stream=2,decode=False,eq=False,dsp=False,resample=0,upmix=0,tempo=0
13.11.2017 16:38:22 - bit stream set=2

Stream raw DSD data - doesn’t work - ErrorLog:

13.11.2017 16:40:00 - codec=Dsd,bit stream=1,decode=False,eq=False,dsp=False,resample=0,upmix=0,tempo=0
13.11.2017 16:40:00 - try set device dsd raw=1
13.11.2017 16:40:00 - bit stream set=1
13.11.2017 16:40:00 - set dsd rate param=True,channels=2
13.11.2017 16:40:03 - codec=Dsd,bit stream=1,decode=False,eq=False,dsp=False,resample=0,upmix=0,tempo=0
13.11.2017 16:40:03 - try set device dsd raw=1
13.11.2017 16:40:03 - bit stream set=1
13.11.2017 16:40:03 - set dsd rate param=True,channels=2

Steven

• Administrator
according to the results, your device should be able to play the file in raw DSD mode. Could you let me know the file extension of the file you tried?

ChilliMeat

It is .DSF file from eshop nativedsd.com. I also tried Jriver Media Player and it works perfect. On the other hand Foobar2000 works well only in DOP mode, with raw DSD there was only silence.

Steven

• Administrator
could you try this version and if it still doesnt work for DSD Raw, there is one more thing i can try. Nothing is logged now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9gkx6dpkc6utqy/MusicBeeTestDsd.zip?dl=1
unzip and replace the existing musicbee.exe file

ChilliMeat

Steven

• Administrator
if this doesnt work i wont spend any more time trying to get raw working - it might just be something about your device given foobar also doesnt work

Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:32:28 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator

AllThisEvil

Just registered to say this: AMAZING DEV! I was looking for a high sound quality / resolution audio player, and everyone but a few musicbee fans pointed me to foobar2k. Stumbled on this thread, and i am just stunned how great the dev is supporting this community in this feature request! I am getting myself familiar with Musicbee, and i dont think to look back. Kudos for not only making the windows music player with best UI (modern, easy still many config options), but also with support for state of the art technical base. Seems all others are outdated and far behind, or with much less active development and support.

Sorry for off topic, but it needed to be said! ;)

On topic: To all those who say supporting such audiophile stuff isnt important: It is a huge trend for audiophile music, hardware and software, with many newbies and "converts" like me to come in the next time and years.

Sorry again for off topic! :)

redwing

Since DSD is slightly better quality than existing PCM files, then there is a slight quality loss, but since 24/88.2 is really outstanding quality already, doing the conversion could be a practical way to go.

Yeah I agree and that's what I'm doing with all high-resolution audio files: convert to FLAC and edit tags freely and apply ReplayGain tags.
But there are some limitations with MB at the moment in terms of helping managing and organizing those files.

1. <Kind> and <Channels> properties display is wrong for DSF files: it shows them as "mp3" and "stereo" for multi-channel DSF files.

2. Support <Bit Depth> field as it already shows for FLAC 24-bit file in file properties tab of tag editor.

3. Show ISO files in the main panel to help managing and organizing SACD-ISO files (also to send them to external tools).

4. Writing tags to DSF files would be great (but unless it could do volume analysis for those, I will still convert to FLAC).
Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:01:23 PM by redwing

frankcreed

I just want to report that Musicbee version 3.2 (3.2.6555) *DOES* send DSD over PCM (DOP) files that *are* recognized as DSD files by my DAC (LH Labs Geek Out), both DSD64 and DSD128.

Thanks Steven!!  :D

Steven

• Administrator
thanks for the confirmation its working for DOP.
It would be good for someone to report the DSD raw is working (if your asio device supports it of course)