Author Topic: audiophile mode  (Read 36110 times)

electro

You have made your point.
You know for certain that 'digital' is perfect by definition, and everybody that has different experiences and opinions is wrong.
Compression, both in audio and video can not be detected by the human ears and eyes. By nobody. Not by you, and by nobody else.
Anybody who says he can is a liar or a fool.

A bit funny though, you say: "And regarding timing, engineers worked many years to improve the hardware related to digital audio".
So that's all wasted effort? Digital was perfect enough already to begin with? You never heard imperfections anyway?

And now you also start about compressing video not having an impact?
That is really a completely ridiculous statement.

Let's all be wise and stop this off-topic nonsense.

Feel free to start your own topic somewhere if there is something on this matter that is bugging you so much.
But I can't take you serious here anymore.
You're clearly an audiophile. As I said before, audiophiles are a lost cause. Trying to explain you some logical things is a waste of time. Indeed, let's end this useless discussion here.

Jan

I was going to let this  go, but now... talking about lost causes (and deafness apparantly)...

Jan

Just curious, since you seem to have some knowledge on this matter:
Record grooves are cut  tangential in production.
Almost all record players have a pivoting arm, so there is only position somewhere in the middle of the record where the timing between left/right channel is correct.
Is this influential to the 'timing' aspect you explained?

I really could not tell you. I do not recall by heart any information in that area, and any knowledge that I had around record players is out of date anyway. It's been about 10 years since I abandoned my Thorens record player (and vinyl in general) for the more convenient and less prone to all kind of damage CD (rightly or wrongly  ;))

I do know there are recent advances in (high quality)  record players, but I do not know in what area.

Thanks and kind regards,
--Jan.

Jan

Just curious, since you seem to have some knowledge on this matter:
Record grooves are cut  tangential in production.
Almost all record players have a pivoting arm, so there is only position somewhere in the middle of the record where the timing between left/right channel is correct.
Is this influential to the 'timing' aspect you explained?

I don't have any additional info on the subject, but re-reading this discussion, I did just now become aware of a major difference between digital and analogue timing issues.

On a record player, the difference in timing between left and right channel should change continuously and slowly. I would expect that to generate (small and continuously changing) difference in balance-experience, but no errors in the generated waveforms nor any momentary displacement of the timing (and thus directionality of the sound).

Thanks and kind regards,
--Jan.
[/quote]

hiccup

Unless you owned a beauty such as this one:

Or a tangential from Revox, Sony, Technics, etc. from that era.
I now see even in the 50's they were already aware of this challenge:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/165878-angling-90-tangential-pivot-tonearms-34.html

I certainly celebrate the advantages of this digital era to its fullest, but I do miss the smell, the touch, the emotion of such hardware sometimes.

owen420

the best settings for me over hdmi or optical to my receiver seem to be wasapi mode, no upsampling, no normalizer (just replay gain) and to have my windows sound card settings at 24-bit 44.1khz... if I have it at 48khz I find it muddy and resampling in the player is even more muddyer better off just using directsound with 32-bit upsampling...

when im going through to a USB DAC that supports ASIO is it a bit diff tho depending on the hardware... I don't use ASIO4ALL its junk

lux1o

musicbee have a problem with asio
i hear distortion that dont exist when i play same file in asio mode in foobar or jriver

need a update

i prefer musicbee over the other software :(