Author Topic: Add sort button(s) to creating playlist options  (Read 6441 times)

WimYogya

Unless I don't see how to arrange sorting myself, but in the 'create playlist' panel I miss one or more buttons to decide in what sort order I want the selected tracks to be presented: on title, on artist, on composer etc.

Could this be added?
More than one button could be handy, so that you can first sort on artist, then all tracks of that artist sort on title etc.
Thanks!
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This can be done using column headers (ctrl+click to add sorting levels - Artist, then Album, for example)

Or you can configure a custom sort order under Sorting/Grouping in Preferences and apply it your playlist.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

WimYogya

The first solution I understand and often use, but that is in manual situations.
But in playlists it is different.
I would prefer some playlists to come up sorted on title.
Others on artist.
Others on artist, then on title.

I have no idea how to create sort orders in preferences which can be applied to particular playlists....
Any assistance?
Thanks!

PS:
And still: wouldn't it be more simple if the 'creat playlist panel' would include one or more 'sort by' buttons/boxes/lists?
WimYogya

Steven

• Administrator
i appreciate people have different preference about this but MB by default applies the same columns/ view to all static playlists. If you right click on the playlist in the left panel and edit it, you can configure the playlist to have a difference view/ columns/ sorting

WimYogya

i appreciate people have different preference about this but MB by default applies the same columns/ view to all static playlists. If you right click on the playlist in the left panel and edit it, you can configure the playlist to have a difference view/ columns/ sorting

Don't understand what you mean with that, Steven. Click what and where? And how re-configure?
Can't find it.
WimYogya

boroda

Right-click playlist name on the left side of MB and choose 'Edit'. There you can set private prefs for particular playlist.

WimYogya

Yes, I knew that - that is what I am constantly doing now, creating dozens of playlists.
But in that playlist edit panel I can set many options, but where are the SORT options?
As far as I know they are missing.
Or am I wrong?
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
First you have to edit the playlist and set it to "custom fields for this playlist only."  Then just go in and sort it the way you want - it should stay that way.

(If it doesn't, please let us know.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

WimYogya

Seems we are talking about different lists.
The AUTOPLAYLISTS of which I try to customize the SORT order simply do not have the option you mentioned. Why not?
Only (static) PLAYLISTS have.
So how to customize an autoplaylist's sort order?
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You're right, autoplaylists don't have that option.  I would say use a saved custom view, but I haven't figured out how those work well enough to be able to explain it yet.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

Steven

• Administrator
auto-playlists automatically have there own sorting/fields/view

WimYogya

That is a strange difference, to my opinion.
Why should a user wish to have different sort options for static lists, but NOT for autolists?
I don't see the difference.

You might want one autolist to be sorted by classical composer, another by title, another by (sub)genre, period or country
Of course, sorting is just the work of a mouseclick, but why not automize it, same as for static lists...
Please?

Seems also difficult to give autolists their own customized (saved) view by default.
I created one that suits my needs more than the MB-default one, but I can't get it implemented, not in a playlist-option, not even manual, at least not always:
Sometimes my saved view replaces the MB-view, sometimes not.
WimYogya

Steven

• Administrator
i will explain it again - please read the replies carefully and spend some time investigating yourself as you take up a lot of time that is not readily available.
Each auto-playlist has its own fields and sorting and by default the fields and sorting are the same as the last opened auto-playlist. You can assign a default view (Artwork, Album & Tracks etc) which is the default view for all playlists or you can assign a specific view for that auto-playlist only.
For static playlists by default there is a standard set of fields and sorting. I accept that not everyone likes that but each static playlist having its own fields and sorting its something i really hate myself in other players. You can edit any playlist and set it so it maintains its own fields/ sorting and views

WimYogya

Sorry for taking up (too) much of your valuable time, Steven. For enthousiastic but inexperienced users MB is like a paradise, but it takes time to explore and understand all miracles...
Therefore I am glad you still took the time to explain the structure and features of the playlist edit panel and structure.
I simply had had no clue that I had to use the view list on the right hand top of the playlist edit panel to obtain my favorite column view and sort order. Therefore I kept searching for sort buttons that I did not need.
Now it works, and great, to my opinion. Thanks.
I am more and more impressed by the flexibility, the speed, the userfriendly interface, the stability, reliability and the small amount of bugs in MusicBee.
On all those levels I would give MB a score of 9 out of 10.
Compliments!
PS:
I never gave MediaMonkey higher marks than overall average 6, thanks to some dramatic levels where the score was 3 or 4.
WimYogya