Author Topic: Rating behaviour  (Read 6138 times)

ma_t14

When you click on a song that is not currently selected in the main panel and you happen to click the rating field then a rating is added. I think this is wrong behaviour that can lead to rating a song accidentally. Wouldn't it be better if a second click is required to assign a rating to avoid this issue?

Also, in the context menu when you right click on a song to assign a rating what is the difference between "No Stars" and "Not Rated"? I assume the former means the the song has zero stars (is plain awful) and "Not rated" means just that, no rating has been assigned. If that is the case and they are two completely different things shouldn't they be illustrated differently also? Both appear as an empty field which is misleading. No stars should appear as 5 empty stars instead of just empty space :-\
Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:54:23 PM by ma_t14

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
This all seems logical. I don't really use the rating system though tbh.
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

ma_t14

Topic moved to the appropriate section

This all seems logical. I don't really use the rating system though tbh.

You may find this strange but I too never use ratings. I was just fooling around with the rating function after reading this thread and I thought there was something wrong with the implementation  ;D

cartman005

I agree. Especially regarding the No Stars issue although it has been brought up before.

I definitely like the fact that there is No Stars/0 Stars because I can see reasons for both. I would say that showing empty stars for 0 stars is a good idea, but I think for consistency, empty stars would have to be shown for everything. So a three-star rating would be three filled stars and two empty ones.

Or there is like MediaMonkey does it with a bomb.

ma_t14

I definitely like the fact that there is No Stars/0 Stars because I can see reasons for both. I would say that showing empty stars for 0 stars is a good idea, but I think for consistency, empty stars would have to be shown for everything. So a three-star rating would be three filled stars and two empty ones.

That's true, for consistency empty stars should be used for all the other ratings (if 5 empty stars are used for 0 stars). Or we must come up with some symbol for the 0 star rating to differentiate it from the "not rated". I don't think that using the bomb symbol is a good idea btw, it is not a standard convention and as a result would look like a straight rip off MediaMonkey.

One thing is for sure, it cannot stay this way because it causes confusion. If you have both rated and unrated tracks in your library you cannot differentiate between tracks you have not rated and those you have rated with 0 stars. The only ways to avoid this confusion currently it to rate ALL your tracks or never use the 0 stars rating and choose to use the 1 or halve star rating as your lowest rating overall.

Anti

If you guys are messing about with this rating stuff, maybe you can confirm a bug for me.

First rate a track, and then set it again as 'unrated'. The bug is that the track is flagged as 'no stars' instead of unrated.
You can see this when you use a search or library filter to select for unrated tracks; the above track isn't included in the filter.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the visual indication - I'm talking about the flag (or 'tag') being set properly.

Cheers.

Steven

• Administrator
you are right about that when you click to the left of the rating its setting 0 rather than unrated. I have changed that
also following up on ma_t14's suggestion, i have added a "bomb" icon for the zero rated tracks - i guess because of the click behavior setting to 0 rather than unrated, some people will find a few tracks unexpectedly set to bomb

edit:
this has the change: http://www.mediafire.com/?ydnk3h9gk6t4hv6
Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:38:33 PM by Steven

ma_t14

Steven can you please have a look at the first request also regarding requiring a second click to rate
Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:51:15 AM by ma_t14

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator

ma_t14

It seems that it is not included in the latest update...  :-\

Steven

• Administrator
it should be. it should only set the rating when you click on a song that is selected.
can you describe what you are doing

ma_t14

You were right, my mistake. I was not using the very latest version after all, sorry  ::)