Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 351297 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
"Unenjoyable" gets red-flagged for me in Firefox (here on the forum) but I haven't tried it elsewhere. Yet it appears in both the Oxford English and the Merriam-Webster dictionaries. Which any self-respecting editor/proof-reader in the US would use.

Now it gets weird. (And drifting off-topic.) When I disable spell checking in Firefox, "unenjoyable" still gets red-flagged here on the forum and anywhere else while using Firefox and typing in a text box.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here.

hiccup

So you have unchecked 'check your spelling as you type' in Firefox, but you still get corrections when typing a message?
Strange indeed, I don't.
Have you restarted FF completely after changing that setting?

phred

• Global Moderator
So you have unchecked 'check your spelling as you type' in Firefox, but you still get corrections when typing a message?
Correct.

Strange indeed, I don't.
Have you restarted FF completely after changing that setting?
With today's modern FF, one doesn't "need" to restart after making changes to settings. But apparently this is one change where it's needed. I hadn't restarted it before, but just did and it is no longer unenjoyable.  <g>

----------

phred

• Global Moderator
With today's modern FF, one doesn't "need" to restart after making changes to settings. But apparently this is one change where it's needed. I hadn't restarted it before, but just did and it is no longer unenjoyable.  <g>
Well, apparently not. "Unenjoyable" is once again being flagged by FF as incorrect. The only time FF doesn't flag it is if I disable FF's spell checker. MS Word does not flag it. As previously stated Oxford English and Meriann-Webster show it as correct in US English.

I found two FF spell checker extensions. Grammerly is free but you need to register and it looks like they send data back to their server. It's possible to turn it off, but I don't know if it limits results. I didn't get that far as I wasn't going to register. The other extension is Language Tool but it's slow and not the greatest UI.

If you find something that you like that's not one of those two, please let me know.

----------

hiccup

I must say I am a bit impressed by the LanguageTool plugin.

It seems to work quite well (running a quote of yours through it ;-)

It also gets generally favourable reviews.
The only drawback I can see using it is that it is probably a little bit overkill for the purpose of posting forum messages, resulting in lots of suggestions that are probably justified but not that important for a forum post.
I'm going to leave it on for a while, and see if it will start to bother me at a certain moment.

I noticed there is also some Firefox dictionary repository:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/firefox/language-tools/
But those files could well be identical to what you get when you customise the preferences settings in FF.
Not sure.

edit,
What seems a bit annoying about LanguageTools is that it still alerts me on something like 'organise'.
I have set LT to En-En, and when clicking on 'organise' it suggests organize, but also says that organise is not wrong.
I don't need alerts like that…