Author Topic: streaming media server  (Read 8385 times)

netean

This is in NO way a need, no way necessary to the overall musicbee app, just something that I think *might* make it a killer app.

At the moment I'm using an app, called myTunesRss to stream my music/playlists from iTunes  - specifically to my Wii, but it could stream to anything.

It creates a web server and then plays my music collection via (I think) it's a flash plugin, and it's pretty decent. I've tried Shoutcast (ghastly to set up) and hunted for others but without much success. The downside to myTunes of course is it's dependency on the goddawful iTunes.

So my wishlist would include a streaming media server please? :) (when you've gotten around to adding the million and one other enhancement requests!)

Steven

• Administrator
that sounds a great idea and also a project in itself!
do you think it would it useful if there was a way to connect myTunesRss to musicbee's library? That way you get all the nice infrastructure and web interface already built without the need for iTunes.
I would need to approach the developer and see what is possible before i could commit to that though

donjulien

RSS / HTTP streaming sounds nice.
What about uPNP, too?

V4lve

I use Firefly Media Server.  You just point it at your music folders and MusicBees playlist folder and it does the rest.  It streams DAAP and uPNP and there are some pretty cool clients for it.

Jamcast is a good too.  Bit slower than Firefly but does more stuff (DNLA for example)
Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:58:20 PM by V4lve

donjulien

V4lve:
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll try it.