Author Topic: Improved Search Idea  (Read 12698 times)

hardo

Can we get a narrowing link for search refinement like Windows MP does? I.e. click on an 'active' field which takes us to an exclusive list like artist or album. Like a hyperlink like you have all over your website here, but where the target is in the music library. I wish i could paste a picture to show you, - hard to explain.

Hey, learned how to paste a pic on the page today. Here is the pic of how i wish musicbee search refinement to work with the mouse over and then click to activate a link as per above message: Wait a few seconds and the image will appear below.

Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:12:14 AM by hardo

ma_t14

hardo

Live and learn. Thank you for this insight, definitely will apply it.

Anti

I don't understand. What happens when you click the hyperlink?

Steven

• Administrator
i am familar with this functionality - its like in the artwork layout and you double click on an album picture, it will navigate to the album and tracks layout, showing all tracks for the album.
So instead, you are viewing your albums in Album and Tracks layout, you move the mouse over say the genre displayed by the artwork, and if you click it, then it would navigate to show all albums from that genre.

ma_t14

I like the idea. Especially considering the ability to do this: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=4360.0

Another thread with the same request: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3060.0

So +1
Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:09:35 PM by ma_t14

hardo

Basically it narrows a search to show all elements linked to that hyperlink. In the above example, by clicking on Jack Johnson, only Jack Johnson related albums would appear.  For that matter, if I moused over the year or the genre or the album title, all related material would appear, to the exclusion of other artists / albums that listed in the initial search. It is a 'nice to have' as you could refine your search in fewer mouse clicks / key strokes, in a more efficient way then typing the exact phrase or artist  in the initial search pane. About half the 'other' music player do it (for eg Microsoft Media Player, Media Monkey etc)

Steven

• Administrator
i've implemented this for the album and tracks layout but only when album fields are displayed to the right of the picture (like windows media player layout). Its not been done for when the album fields are displayed below the picture because there are some internal GUI glitch issues that arent easily resolved

hardo

Wow, thank you again Steven. When might the download be available. Thank you for all your hard work, i don't imagine you have a life outside of this anymore. When i'm 'big', i will certainly make a donation.

Steven

• Administrator
this has the change:
http://www.mediafire.com/?047dqh1fv2zx1mq

its quite possible i've overlooked something with this so any feedback appreciated

ma_t14

Its not been done for when the album fields are displayed below the picture because there are some internal GUI glitch issues that arent easily resolved

I think that having the info on the right of artwork is a waste of space (especially if you don't own a wide screen monitor). Oh well I guess unless you find a way to figure out the GUI glitches this feature albeit useful won't see much use from me  :(

Anyway Steven you are doing a great job (!) and the recent horde of topics in the wishlist forums is just "nitpicking". That goes to show how complete MusicBee is feature-wise. It's a matter of different routines and opinions now. Congratulations! It's the first time I see so much dedication towards a software project (including paid ones!). You really deserve a break from all this, just sit back and admire your creation  ;D

Steven

• Administrator
i'll give the "below the picture" layout another go if i have time over the week

hardo

Steven, - weird, - i cant seem to download that file or retrieve it from my mediafire account.  It reports illegal compression or something like that.

hardo

Thank you, downloaded the file that way.
Steven it works like a bomb!
If i discover any jitters i'll let you know.
Thank you for being so resposive.
The program is almost perfect for me now, but you know what they say about perfection being imperfection and focusing on a destination will leave you unsatisfied and all.....
Kidding. :-)