Author Topic: Playing music, and more  (Read 6402 times)

silasje1

Hey,

i would like to say what i really would like to see:

- Musicbee that runs the current song in 1 thread apart from other things.
- Musicbee running the searching for artwork and lyrics in an other thread
-Maybe it could be like this:
CPU 1: MB main, CPU2: Lyrics+artwork, Song. or CPU1: MB main, CPU2: Lyrics +artwork, CPU 3: Song, CPU 4: others

so i want some multi threading if it can be done. If not i would like to see some improvments in the player, because my music hangs for 1 sec to load/search lyrics and artwork.

thanks in advance
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

ma_t14

+1

For me it locks up sometimes immediately before playing next song. But I have a really old compurer (P4 with HyperThreading). I Hopefully I will receive my new laptop this month. I will report back when that happens
Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:10:51 PM by ma_t14

Steven

• Administrator
it already plays in 1 thread and loads artwork/ lyrics in another.
i have never noticed any delay, except only when the lyrics or artwork of the current song are still loading and you skip to the next track. In that case the GUI can lock up for 1 or 2 seconds as it stops the artwork/lyrics of the current song loading.
Is that the circumstance or do you find it always taking 1 sec to start the next song even when the current one normally completes.
And if you are saying that, does disabling auto-retrieval of artwork and lyrics solve the problem?

silasje1

Does, work a little better without lyrics and artwork retrevial.

i also notice it hangs when skipping songs, when they are searching lyrics and artwork. Maybe add an option when no lyrcis are found not to search for them the next month or so (when they are online they will be found after all)
Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:22:15 PM by silasje1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

Steven

• Administrator
the next song is loaded a couple of seconds before the start of the next song.
If you have artwork and lyric retrieval disabled i cant think of anything that would lock starting the next song (and even if it is enabled i dont see why it would so that either)
so on what basis are you saying the start of next song is locked?
are you saying that the GUI is entirely locked up or just the tracker position doesnt move. If its just that, does it suddenly jump?

ma_t14

The gui locks for 2-3 seconds and the playing song loops at the same position for that interval. But that happens very scarcely when the cpu is under heavy load. It's not worth your time. I am moving to a new machine soon as I am leaving for studies to the UK (Computer Science) so the old system will not see much use if any at all and certainly not MusicBee.

As I said I will get to you back when I receive the new system, but I don't expect any problems there to be honest  ;D
Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:19:02 PM by ma_t14

silasje1

nothing loops here. It just stops 1 second, and then plays next song. No hardware problem.

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

Steven

• Administrator
nothing loops here. It just stops 1 second, and then plays next song. No hardware problem.
i am only going to be able to help if you can give more detailed information. What do you mean by "it stops" eg. does the GUI freeze and nothing responds, or do you simply mean that no sound is produced (but you can see the track bar moving).
If its the last, then if you are using a DSP plugin then there is latency between when the song starts playing and when the sound is heard, which varies depending on the plugin.
If you mean the GUI completely locks up, it would be helpful if you were able to make a video.

silasje1

sorry for my uncomplete explenation :P

When i play a song, i press next song, the GUI doesnt do anything and says "loading lyrics".
Then after 1/2 seconds the next songs plays (the sound isnt played for about 1/2 secs, since MB is loading lyrics) and the GUI reacts slowly, and after 0,5 sec, the GUI works 100 %.

Hope this is clear enough? I found an temp. fix: Shutting auto retrieve of lyrics off.

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

Steven

• Administrator
does it only happen if you press next song, particularily if the lyrics for the current song are still loading?
if you let the current song continue playing to the end and the next track starts playing, do you get the 1/2 second lock up?

silasje1

no, it is only when the song is loading lyrics, or album art, artist info. If those are found and loaded, the GUI and music doesnt stop/lock

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

Steven

• Administrator
ok - it sounded like it was always happening everytime a new song starts.
Its what i mentioned in my very first response - if its only happening while the lyrics (or artwork) of the current song are still loading then its a limitation of aborting existing web requests with .NET and i dont know if it can be solved. As mentioned, the lyrics and artwork are already loaded in another thread.
In my own tests this only slows down the GUI - the music track does play even though the progress bar doesnt move
Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:41:38 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this probably isnt a complete fix but let me know if it makes any difference:
http://www.mediafire.com/?crravjlczwk146k

the thing is today skipping a track while its still retrieving artwork or lyrics doesnt has any delay when aborted at all, but i have seen on other days the behavior discussed and i have no idea why it differs from day to day.

silasje1

YEAAH, it works :).. thanks steven!

i can now skip every song without lag or stutter :)

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

cooljazz

kind of regarding this toppic: The Gui of MusicBee also freezes when applying new artwork to an album and especially when the option"embed artwork into file" is selected.