Author Topic: Google Artwork  (Read 5433 times)

zord_majka

Currently, MB shows you as a possible cover art a first image it finds on Google. Would it be possible to add couple of options such as dimensions of the picture and file size? For example it would be very handy to set up dimensions to 500x500 px or greater and file size smaller than 200 KB. Also when right clicked on the image it would be nice to have an option like "next image".

Thanks,
Michal

Steven

• Administrator
i will be this better in the future but i cant imagine having a next button is very good either as you would want to compare it to the previous one - i think you really need to see a number of google results side by side

JaLaRu

I don't know if this site has an API or if you can integrate it at all, but it is the best place on the internet that I have found for high quality artwork. Would be worth looking into.

http://www.albumartexchange.com/

ma_t14

Apparently they do not provide an API

Quote from: Scot (site Admin)
We had an API but everyone took it as an open invitation to build album art downloaders for the site. Consequently, I was a very one way street with people grabbing artwork, contributing nothing and bypassing all opportunities for the site to develop revenue and user votes or view counts. No thanks!

Discussion about the topic here: http://www.albumartexchange.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2173

Steven

• Administrator
MB used to use the API but the site owner requested this be stopped (they are a small site and need the revenue from people visiting), so i wont be providing any interface to AlbumArtExchange even though it has fantastic artwork.

JaLaRu

Ah, that's a shame. I guess I'll just stick to copying and pasting from that site then.

Steven

• Administrator
i've enhanced the google search such that when you click on the google link in the artwork selector dialog, it brings up a dialog showing additional matches to choose from

zord_majka

Works great! Thanks.

One thing, though: If i didn't know about this feature, I wouldn't ever thought about clicking on the google link. It's very well hidden. It could use some highlighting like putting an asterisk there, mouse over message, force the underline... It's very handy, so let other users to know about the feature.

zord_majka

OK, one more thing -- would it be possible to preview pictures from google in full size before you decide for one of them? You see, from thumbnails you can't see if the picture was upscaled and thus can't determine its quality. This unfortunately happens a lot. Now you can check the full picture only after you choose it on google images which makes it sort of time consuming (going back and forth).

ma_t14

OK, one more thing -- would it be possible to preview pictures from google in full size before you decide for one of them? You see, from thumbnails you can't see if the picture was upscaled and thus can't determine its quality. This unfortunately happens a lot. Now you can check the full picture only after you choose it on google images which makes it sort of time consuming (going back and forth).

Was about to post something similar

Steven

• Administrator
Works great! Thanks.

One thing, though: If i didn't know about this feature, I wouldn't ever thought about clicking on the google link. It's very well hidden. It could use some highlighting like putting an asterisk there, mouse over message, force the underline... It's very handy, so let other users to know about the feature.
it already underlines the google link when you move the mouse over the google picture or link

i not keen on investing too much time with google artwork though as i suspect they will somehow cripple the functionality down the track