Author Topic: MusicBee with Bandcamp  (Read 7743 times)

chuckmoore

I found a great site that offers good autotagging or cover art. Bandcamp has a huge discography of music metadata and lots of free downloads. Bandcamp offers their API free for developers and Bandcamp would be a very intelligent database for grabbing metatags.
The Bandcamp API is based on HTTP GET requests.
 http://bandcamp.com/developer
I would like to know everyone's ideas on Bandcamp.

Steven

• Administrator
the spirit of bandcamp seems to be that by providing all this data they want the app to link back to the artist pages which sounds fair enough to me. But that does make it unsuitable for batch tagging or automatic artwork retrieval.
The only tagging function i could imagine doing that is with the album autotagger.
The other way i could imagine using it is to hook the auto-dj into the artist playlists and make the artist page hook into bandcamp but i would need to see how good there database is whether its worth the effort.

awise107

I too am in favor of such an implementation. Like we've done before with Beatport, Bandcamp should become an available source for the album auto-tagger. I've found many bands that have their stuff on bandcamp exclusively, so that becomes the official tagging source. Rarely is an album I download from bandcamp of any other site which promotes/offers the release (which was originally on the band's bandcamp page) entered into the Musicbrainz database. It would seriously be a great idea Steven, if you have the time and energy that is.

evil_mani-mani

Sorry for the thread necromancy, however would this be feasible at this point? (8 years later, haha)

archetypewriter

+1
The great thing about Bandcamp tags is that they were selected by the artist or the record label unlike Discogs where genre, style, and other tags were selected by literally anyone who decided to add a title, or AllMusic which is run by Amazon. As a result Bandcamp tags are more likely the most accurate descriptions, if you are going with the artist as an authority on their own music. Often the tags include the city or country of the artist as well as genre and sub-genres. At the moment I just have a Bandcamp search link in the sidebar and do this manually, but it would be excellent to be able to do this more efficiently.

Steven

• Administrator
bandcamp no longer provides an api to access tag data - they used to have that but they took it away

stardepp

👌 Maybe it at least somewhat helpful that you can add search engines in MusicBee, so you can also create a search for Bandcamp, with which you can then search for an album or an artist at Bandcamp.

Code
https://bandcamp.com/search?q=<Artist> <Album>

Code
https://bandcamp.com/search?q=<Artist>

Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:52:00 AM by stardepp