Author Topic: Load radio streams from .pls file  (Read 8946 times)

RabidToaster

I listen to a lot of music on http://di.fm, but I have to listen through foobar. When accessing their stations a .pls playlist with mirrors of the station is downloaded to your computer.
If I open this with MusicBee I get a load of greyed out entries which say 'The selected file is a radio stream that cannot be replayed.' There's no way to import the addresses into the radio stations section either.

It would be nice to be able to either play them normally or preferably import them into the radio stations list.

Steven

• Administrator
if you go to the radio stations node, right click/ New Station
you can enter the link there and it will play as a station
tried with http://listen.di.fm/public3/spacemusic.pls and working ok

RabidToaster

This works for the public links, but doesn't seem to for the premium links when logged in. :(
It just says that I've linked to the stations web page, I guess because the premium links check authentication before allowing you access.
If the location box in the New Station window allowed you to link to a file that could work..

Anti

From their FAQ:

---------------
Which media players does your service work with?

Our service works with Winamp (Windows), XMMS, Apple iTunes (Mac/Windows), Real Player and Windows Media Player.
For Palm OS: Pocket Tunes (deluxe version, after 1/15/2004), and many other players.

Which media players are not supported yet?

So far we have reports that MusicMatch player does not work correctly (use Winamp instead). There may be others that do not support "basic authentication" correctly. Some hardware home audio setups may not support basic authentication correctly.
---------------

So your request is for MusicBee to support authentication.

Have you tried simply appending the url with your login info? Eg.
http://listen.di.fm/private/example.pls?user=YourUsername?pass=YourPassword
Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:01:31 PM by Anti

RabidToaster

I can still listen to di.fm, it's just very inconvenient as I either have to reopen the playlist every time I want to change station, or manually copy the stream url from the playlist in notepad for each mirror of each station I want to add.

Steven

• Administrator
RabidToaster, did you try Anti's suggestion of how to pass the username/password? If thats the correct syntax, all you need to do is add that path as the radio station link following my instructions

Anti

I got that syntax from their forum. However, it might not work because it was referring to another (Linux) music manager that might be processing the url in some way Eg. creating a cookie from it before passing it on.

Rabid, if you go to their forum, you'll see a shedload of premium customers who are unhappy that their preferred music player doesn't have authentication method for radio station streams. Their answer is always 'tell the developer of your player to include authentication - it's easy' or 'use Winamp'. Not really an ideal solution on their part!

RabidToaster

Ah, sorry I'd missed that part of Anti's post.

It works great! Although the second '?' should be '&'. I'd completely missed the fact that di.fm had forums.
Thanks for your help Anti & Steven!
I feel a bit stupid now. :)
Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:44:44 AM by RabidToaster

Anti

> I feel a bit stupid now.

No way. You worked it out in the end.
Thanks for the heads up about di.fm - great site.