Author Topic: Some kind of multi-instance cross-contamination  (Read 214 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This is the sort of vague report I hate to make, but it's such a weird issue that reproducing it is hard. And if it's too oddball a thing to spend much energy on, I can understand.

Background: I have two completely separate MusicBee installations, both portable. One is in C:\MusicBee\ and one is in E:\MusicBee Portable\ (an external drive). They share no settings files of any kind. There is a library on the E: drive that pulls in audio files from both C: and E: but I rarely use it. The main libraries don't overlap at all, either.

Possibly relevant: The C: installation is set to continuously monitor my C:\<User>\Music\ folder. The E: installation only scans at startup.

What I'm sure of is this: sometimes a small number of files from E: get picked up and imported to the C: library (and subsequently moved to C:). It's always a handful of files that I've recently added or updated on E:.

I'm reasonably sure it only happens when I have the C: installation up and running, but I can't swear to it.

My best guess is that something like tagging the files on E: causes a misfire of the monitor folder notification on C:. That's the only thing I've come up with that explains why it's just a few at a time. Would that even be possible?

Tagging with Picard *might* play a role? I do most of my tagging with Picard, could be coincidence.
Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:53:28 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
if the C: instance is monitoring a specific C: folder then I dont see how tagging files on the E: drive would trigger the folder monitor unless Picard is configured the write temporary versions of the tagged file to that folder (which seems very unlikely)
You dont ever run the E: instance and switch to the C: library (using File/ Open Library) ?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No, I definitely haven't done that. The second library on E has the Music folder as one of its sources, but it doesn't have any organization or auto-scan settings at all.

They do both have both drives set up in the computer node. I very, very rarely move files directly between the collections, only copy (they're mostly supposed to exist in both places).

This is at least the 3rd time I've noticed it. Yesterday some files that had already been imported on E (I'd seen them with File Explorer and the path was shown in the library) went missing, while both MB instances were running. Sure enough, that same set of files showed up in the inbox on C. They were duplicates of files already in the C library, and in this case I knew they were the files from E because they were in a different format than on C (m4a rather than mp3). I am 100% sure I hadn't moved them myself by accident

I'll have to keep trying to pin down the exact circumstances. I'll also do a search on some of the settings files on E to make sure there aren't any references to C hidden away (although I'd think that would be a more noticable problem).
Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 01:46:56 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)