Author Topic: Getting an Error When Opening a Few of My Playlists  (Read 401 times)

EVAhazard

MusicBee v3.5.8447.35843Store (Win10.0), 15 Apr 2024 14:46:

System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte()
   at #=zEHxy3z6uCl9QzCeUySLDQro=.#=zd3jxiLlaEnbq(Stream #=zTxS$jxo=, List`1 #=ztTiYibs=, #=zcPVirHA= #=zXocW65g=)
   at #=zEHxy3z6uCl9QzCeUySLDQro=.#=zorJ$qpG5mf_Q()
   at #=zEHxy3z6uCl9QzCeUySLDQro=.#=zQ1TfoZ1aaS7u()
   at #=zLs3ic1eXqqFM6Y5Ob_4BZSTWtEGt.#=z$3Vf3gKzsEY8(#=z5WrdNvACp_Xp #=zypRL7uo=, Boolean #=z6KEB_CkhpgVFRtkADg==)
   at #=zLs3ic1eXqqFM6Y5Ob_4BZSTWtEGt.#=zPyMYjc3KEHWE(#=z5WrdNvACp_Xp #=zypRL7uo=, Boolean #=z6KEB_CkhpgVFRtkADg==)
   at #=zLs3ic1eXqqFM6Y5Ob_4BZSTWtEGt.#=zIE99b7hf$IIz(Boolean #=ziQzbAlEvKqSaVfzOSA==, Boolean #=zbC1xz3ORgqd2)
   at #=zLs3ic1eXqqFM6Y5Ob_4BZSTWtEGt.#=zUWNJ8SiwU9_r(#=zpt7RDMITgV7cf48du2iU1mc= #=zLPpddV7tvyZd, Boolean #=zn9h7yZ0IQmuy, #=zYyIo99c= #=zu7V9RTw=, #=zR4Y7Dr2_Ao8uM1DbiRhA7Iw= #=zsOE65ELRjQCY, Boolean #=zhbi2yQMQkKBF, #=zMF0iWMdYHv_UMHjPYVAWXp0= #=zTD5uFnL_Jo6O, #=zguSU7mMWL5ECRCRFZ2hcu4s=[] #=zZsvAEWPk9mK$, Boolean #=zrOHH9KwScui6)

when I left or right click on only about three of my playlists, I get this error and the playlist tab closes. Just downloaded the MusicBee app from the Microsoft Store to make sure I have the latest version, and restarted my computer, but no luck.

I thought however I would have 3.5 when I downloaded it from the store, but it still says 3.0 when I open the app. How do I even know what version I am on? How do I make sure I am running the new version? It seems I have two musicbee apps now but when opening either one it says it is 3.0.

But anyways, this problem with the playlists just started a few days ago out of the blue. I am not sure if I can still access them or if they have been erased.

Thank you

phred

• Global Moderator
You're using the Store version, which can not be "fixed" until Steven releases a new version. Are you certain you downloaded it from the Microsoft Store? I find it very unlikely that the Store gave you v3.0 as that is from 2016, And I'm not even sure if the Store version existed then. The current version is 3.5.8698 and can be found on the MB website on the Downloads page.

I suggest you download and "install" the Portable version, placing it in a directory outside of Windows control. Something like C:\MusicBee. The advantage of the Portable version (and the Installer version) is that Steven is regularly issuing patch fixes for bugs. The additional benefit of Portable, is that backing up MB, or moving it to a new PC, can be accomplished simply by copying the entire directory in which MB lives. After installing the Portable version, come back here and download and install the latest 3.5 patch, which will bring you to at least v3.5.8869, which was released a few days ago. Whereas the unpatched 3.5.8698 was released this past October.

It's quite possible that the issue you're experiencing doesn't exist in Portable or Installer. And if it does, and Steven can reproduce it, it most likely can be fixed with a patch release. Which are always found in my signature below.

You can install the Portable while Store is still installed. Configure Portable to your liking, and when happy with it, you can uninstall the Store version and spend the rest of your music listening time with a smile on your face.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

EVAhazard

Ok, I uninstalled the Microsoft Store version, downloaded the latest patch, pasted the files in my MusicBee folder, and yet, I'm still in 3.0 when I open the app (via the little pop up that comes up before the app opens), and the error still persists.

phred

• Global Moderator
The current version is 3.5.8698 and can be found on the MB website on the Downloads page.
You need to download the current version from the downloads page and -then- install the patch.

If your version is still showing v3.0, then either you haven't uninstalled the Store version, or you did uninstall it, but you also have another version installed.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
unfortunately the playlists in question are already corrupt. You might try phred's instructions as a more recent patched MB version may help prevent any corruption happening in the first place. Also a good idea to keep backups

EVAhazard

I downloaded the latest version from the Downloads page, ran the installer, downloaded the 3.6 patch and pasted the files into the MusicBee folder. I had already uninstalled the Microsoft Store version (keep in mind I have had the web version for the past several years). And yet, it still says 3.0 when I open MusicBee.

Do I need to uninstall the older version and then install the new version? When I ran the 3.5 installer it seemed to just overrwrite the old version and the new desktop shortcut leads to the same library, still displaying "MusicBee 3.0" on the window when I open it.

Thankfully I have a recent backup so the playlists are recoverable.

voodoopunk

It may say 3.0 on some of the start up splash screens.

What does it say when you navigate to Help > About?

sveakul

I downloaded the latest version from the Downloads page, ran the installer, downloaded the 3.6 patch and pasted the files into the MusicBee folder. I had already uninstalled the Microsoft Store version (keep in mind I have had the web version for the past several years). And yet, it still says 3.0 when I open MusicBee.

Do I need to uninstall the older version and then install the new version? When I ran the 3.5 installer it seemed to just overrwrite the old version and the new desktop shortcut leads to the same library, still displaying "MusicBee 3.0" on the window when I open it.

Thankfully I have a recent backup so the playlists are recoverable.
From the sound of it you have a hopelessly kludged-up MuiscBee environment with multiple versions/types, and/or pieces thereof, scattered all over.

My advice to you is be sure the playlists and of course all your actual music files (and external artwork if you use that) are backed up somewhere, and then do a total uninstall of everything MusicBee.  Run any MB uninstallers that still show in "Apps and Features" or "Programs and Features."  Then, manually search for (using File Explorer) and delete any file or folder with "MusicBee" in the name (excluding your backups of course!), paying special attention to anything in the Users/(username)/AppData folders and in the "Music" folder.  If you are comfortable working in the Registry, first make a Restore Point, then also delete any "MusicBee" keys.

Restart the PC and you should have as clean an environment as you can get, despite that some parts of the Windows Store version will remain due to their Trusted Installer permission level.

Now, download the latest PORTABLE version of MusicBee from the official website and install following the instructions here: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=40059.0

After that, you can then apply the latest patch from phred's posts signature, extracting the contents of the patch into your MusicBee portable folder and letting it overwrite.

OK.  Now you can setup MusicBee fresh the way you want it making a whole new library from your existing music files--takes some time but it's not as daunting as it appears--and re-import your backed up playlists.  There may be some adjusting left as far as paths but you'll thank yourself in the end that you stopped trying to make a dead horse drink and started over. IMO.