Author Topic: Unknown genre when transferring to android phone music player  (Read 708 times)

musicmike

Hello.  I have numerous files that show up as unknown genre when transferring to my android phone.  All of the necessary tags are filled in, including genre, but they still show up as unknown.  This happens regardless of the music player on am using on my phone.  And an album from the same artist, as well as others from the same genre, will show up perfectly fine, but then the other one(s) will show up as unknown.  I have deleted and reinstalled the music and music players on my phone, but still nothing works.  Yes, I have made sure that in MusicBee the genre is tagged correctly, and all music files are mp3.  Not sure what to do to fix the situation.  If this has been covered, I apologize, but I could not find it in the forum.  Thanks

hiccup

Yes, I have made sure that in MusicBee the genre is tagged correctly, and all music files are mp3.  Not sure what to do to fix the situation.  If this has been covered, I apologize, but I could not find it in the forum.  Thanks
If it is only happening with (some) mp3 files, you could use a program such as MP3Diags to check if there perhaps is some file corruption going on.

hiccup

Thank you hiccup, I appreciate your help!
No problem, you are welcome musicmike.
I wish more first time posters would use words such as 'hello', 'I apologize if', and 'thanks' in their very first post  ;-)

PS
Also see if it makes any difference if you use ID3v2.3 or v2.4 for MP3's.
It shouldn't really matter, but it could be worth a test.
Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 08:31:16 PM by hiccup

musicmike

musicmike

So, I think I figured out the problem.  The issue was only occurring for my "decades" genres (70's, 80's, etc).  Under genre for those I have them listed as 80's, but numerous android music players are not reading it and listing them as unknown.  I found that if I put quotation marks around them "80's" in MB, the music apps that I have tried can read them and display the genre correctly.  Any thoughts?
Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 10:47:24 PM by musicmike

hiccup

Any thoughts?
Not being a native English speaker, I believe the proper way of writing such decades is 70s. Not 70's.
If you agree, simply changing that will solve the problem?

hiccup

Great. For what it's worth:
I am maintaining a genre list currently containing 3000+ genres known by sources such as MusicBrainz, RYM and Discogs.
Not a single genre in that list contains an apostrophe.
So I don't think looking for a way to still use them would be worth the effort.

musicmike

I definitely don't need the apostrophe.  I did try it without and still got the same results.  Hhmmm....

I tried an apostrophe before the number '80s, and it recognized it.  I guess some of the Android players just don't recognize if a number is first. 
Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 05:07:14 PM by musicmike

hiccup

I tried an apostrophe before the number '80s, and it recognized it.  I guess some of the Android players just don't recognize if a number is first.  
Thanks for reporting back again.
If that is indeed the case, those players are mistaken to do that.

16-bit
2 tone
2-step

Are three 'acknowledged' genres that start with a digit.

(60s, 70s etc. are not, but that would be a discussion for another time and place, in which I wouldn't dare to participate in)

edit
I find it odd that they would not accept a digit at the start, but they do accept an apostrophe.
Could it perhaps be about the number of characters instead? Three being to few to be accepted?
Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 06:15:57 PM by hiccup

musicmike

I will have to play around with it more and see if more characters makes any difference.  Thanks hiccup.