Author Topic: Getting MB to play albums in correct track number order  (Read 509 times)

Dotcom1970

I've searched for an answer to this but to no avail.  I had to rebuild my PC recently, and when I restored Music Bee, it seemed to recover most of the settings, but now I find that when I play an album using the right-click context "Play With MusicBee", it won't play the selected album in the correct track order.

All tracks have been correctly tagged in mp3tag against their respective Discogs entries, using the following:

%discnumber%-%track% %title%

but unless I manually sort the Disc-Track# column and then use the List/update play order, it plays them out of the order.

Picture from mp3tag showing the files sorted correctly

Picture from MB when selecting the same album using the above context menu shortcut

However, it will play correctly if I select the album to play within the MB file explorer.

I'm pretty certain I never had this issue before when using the context menu shortcut, so any advice on making MB play all albums in the correct order without manual sorting would be appreciated.
Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 06:15:18 PM by Dotcom1970

frankz

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16415.msg96214#msg96214

Your files are playing in order according to file name (the way Windows sorts numbers when sorting "alphabetically").

Dotcom1970

frankz

The way to get around it is in the post I linked - use MB's computer node instead of Windows Explorer to select what to play.  

Or, you can simply sort your "Now Playing" by <Disc-Track#> before hitting play once the tracks are enqueued.

I have a faint memory of something relating to installing MB as an administrator having some effect on this one way or the other, but I don't know for sure. Might be worth a search.

EDIT: Renaming your files so digits 1-9 have a leading zero would probably work, too.
Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 07:18:12 PM by frankz

Dotcom1970

EDIT: Renaming your files so digits 1-9 have a leading zero would probably work, too.

Having spent ages retagging all my files, I don't fancy doing that, but I'll try with a test album and see if it does fix it.

Thanks for all your help so far though.

frankz

If your files are properly tagged, renaming files in MB using a template is very easy.  If you decide to go that route, this can help. 

Dotcom1970

Padding the numbers with a leading zero for disc and track numbers (1-9) works.

I have a renaming app that can do this automatically, so I will let it run through all my files.

Thanks once again.

frankz

Warning - MB will not be able to find your files if you do this with a third party program and you will have to relocate all affected files in MB.

Best to do it using MB's own organization functionality or manually in MB so MB doesn't lose track.