Author Topic: Substituting SQLite 3.45.2 for default  (Read 450 times)

blueskyriver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Hi Stephen,

Thank you very much for making MusicBee available. I have used and relied on it for many years. I look forward to updates and the next version.

This is re. my testing MusicBee 3.5.8698 with the latest 32-bit DLL (x86) for SQLite version 3.45.2 in an effort to look for any performance improvement.

From what I can see, the default sqlite3.dll dates to 2009 with no version number shown. I don't know for certain if it makes any or much difference, but at least MusicBee seems to work with the latest sqlite3 dll. I am cautious in saying it seems to be quicker, but that may be wishful thinking manifesting itself.

Something else I note is the file size of sqlite3.dll 3.45.2.0 which is 2,427 kb while the default sqlite3.dll in Musicbee is 493 kb.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

The reason why I am trying this ->

I have a large library accumulated over a couple of decades, most of it now in ALAC format. I chose ALAC to maintain interoperability with Apple devices, though I don't use one at present. With close to 250,000 files in the main library and elaborate tagging and sorting, it has slowed things down recently. Maybe there's a point at which things became too much for MusicBee or my laptop. The laptop has an i7 8750H with 16GB RAM and runs Windows 11. The OS and MusicBee is installed on a NVMe PCIe SSD.

Regards,
Joel

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9384
With close to 250,000 files in the main library and elaborate tagging and sorting, it has slowed things down recently. Maybe there's a point at which things became too much for MusicBee or my laptop.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5318.msg220797#msg220797
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

blueskyriver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
With close to 250,000 files in the main library and elaborate tagging and sorting, it has slowed things down recently. Maybe there's a point at which things became too much for MusicBee or my laptop.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5318.msg220797#msg220797

I have seen that topic and read the posts a while ago. I did not have a problem myself until a short time ago. I have no idea what change may have caused the slow down. It could be the particular combination of hardware and software on my system along with some recent update. I took a guess at the number of tracks crossing a certain threshold, but I have tried moving some out with no change. My default sorting uses 8 fields which would require more system resources.

Using the latest sqlite3 does seem to make a difference, but again, maybe I'm imagining it. There is a CPU spike when I click on "Music" until the library displays which takes around 10 seconds.

My system also has .NET Desktop Runtime 8.0.3 installed, no other version. I'm one of those people who almost obsessively keeps everything updated.

Another potential factor: the files are distributed across two external hard drives which are currently over 95% full. They were 90-95% full until a short time ago.

Again, I have no idea what exactly is going on and am trying a few things to see if I can improve performance on my particular system.

- Joel
Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 08:27:39 PM by blueskyriver

Maxxx

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Perhaps the slowdown is due to the two HDs being more than 95% full. In fact, HD performance decays a lot when the free space is less than 10%.
Also i almost impossible to defrag with less than 10% free space.
A new USB SSD would help a lot.

blueskyriver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
The HDs being over 95% may be a contributing factor.  I have cleared one up to be just under 90% full. The other I am working on. The CPU spike does seem to indicate something else. The MusicBeeLibrary.mbl files is 174 MB. I have tried sorting only by date added and album instead of the 8 different tags I prefer, and it still takes about 10 seconds. I have also run the "Compress library" tool.

To clarify, MusicBee otherwise works fine. It is from start up or opening the main Music library in a new tab that it takes around 10 seconds to display the files/songs. I have around 22,000 files in Audiobooks, mostly mp3 format and that takes 1 or 2 seconds.

Maxxx

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Have you tried compacting the library? (Tools > Advanced >Compress Library & Reset Artwork Cache?)
Numerous Virtual Tags can also cause slowdowns.

blueskyriver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
I have compacted the library and reset the Artwork cache with no improvement. The virtual tags likely add to the work the computer has to do. I have two virtual tags (that each use 4 different tags with conditional processing) used in sorting, grouping, display. Scanning 250,000 entries in the library file to then sort, group and display may need some CPU power.
Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:59:07 PM by blueskyriver


blueskyriver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Thanks. I have seen this also, but I don't think this is memory related. It is likely just a matter of CPU in combination with possibly some other inefficiency somewhere else.