Author Topic: Playlist, from old to new.  (Read 258 times)

Isafreyr

• Good day, traveller!
Good day/evening, everyone.

Alright, let me try to explain. So my past laptop has died. Fortunately, I have backups for my music files. I swapped for a new laptop which came with a new gen SSD. The new generation SSD is incredible, I really want to have my music files there. I have transferred all the data from my past laptop to this new laptop's SSD and made a fresh new install of MusicBee. Because I still had the data, I also had the past MusicBee playlists, so when I saw my playlists available I was happy. I didn't have to create new ones and start from the beginning for certain occasions. But then I saw it. Warnings and Blanks, 1. to 999.'s. All nothing.

https://imgur.com/a/0dbUNMn

I know locate. exists, but only for one file each, individually. I will probably be no more of this world if I went for this option. I tried right clicking anything I thought might bring light to my problem, but no hope. I was honestly distraught. I felt empty.

I ask this community. Please tell me if there is a solution to this. A quick fix that I have overlooked. Something that would tell my songs in the playlist that you are all still of this world. That all they have to do is understand that they are all still in their respective album folder. All are in the Music folder. The only difference is the drive and user. Just a couple of clicks that would make my playlist reroute all the music file paths to a new drive.

If all hope is vanquished then so be it. I will still add my music to their respective playlist. Each, single, one. Days, months, decades. Nothing can stop me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 06:33:58 AM by Isafreyr

phred

• Global Moderator
On the new machine is the path to your music files the same path as on the old machine?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Isafreyr

• Good day, traveller!
It's different. The previous laptop had the file path as C: Drive and Asus as the user.

phred

• Global Moderator
It's different. The previous laptop had the file path as C: Drive and Asus as the user.
There's your problem. A playlist is nothing more than a text file showing the path(s) to the music file(s). If you move your music files to a new location using something other than MB, your playlists don't know that they've moved.

Open a playlist in a text editor like Notepad++ and do a search and replace for the old and the new paths. Test this on only a few tracks, or a small playlist first to make sure you're getting the results you expect. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway - make a backup of any/all playlists you're going to be changing. With Notepad++ (once you're satisfied with the results of your test) you can load -all- your playlists and do a global search and replace and the paths will get changed very quickly. Remember: BACKUP ALL YOUR PLAYLISTS BEFORE YOU START DOING THIS.

Someone else may have a better idea, but that's what I would do.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Isafreyr

• Good day, traveller!
Woah. Alright, first of all, thank you for making me give this a chance. I tried the notepad++ route (with backups of course as you advised) but whatever I did to replace the routes made MusicBee crash. I don't know what happened but a prompt came up with an Error as I tried to launch it, submit a report to the forums, blah blah blah, you know the deal. So I thought, damn. My whole MusicBee file is done for. Welp, let me just copy & paste the MusicBee file from my Backup drive again. FOR SOME REASON, is it because I copied the files before installing MusicBee and copying the files after installing MusicBee made this difference but suddenly, unlike before when I made a fresh new install of MusicBee, this time when I launched the app again, it brought up a prompt telling me that the past directory is different. And told me "Do you want to change it?"

Let me try to visualize this for you. It gave me a prompt like this,
https://imgur.com/a/7JckuxK

I still thought this would do nothing, life ain't this easy.

But boom.
https://imgur.com/a/1jauh9V

I need to know how this was done so that If I ever face this problem again, there is this simple, couple of seconds fix.

Steven

• Administrator
if they are musicbee playlists (.mbp files), use File/ Library/ Relink File Paths
also make sure you are using the original (unedited files)
Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:08:36 PM by Steven

phred

• Global Moderator
if they are musicbee playlists (.mbp files), use File/ Library/ Relink File Paths
I thought that only worked for "misplaced" files in the library. Would this work if the path in the playlist is pointing to the previous location even if the files are now correctly seen in the library?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
yes, it also updates links in playlists. Think of it like a search and replace command

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks Steven, that's good to know.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki