Author Topic: Compilation Albums split into artists and tracks  (Read 450 times)

PaulRJ

Help! Please
I am switching from Mediamonkey to Musicbee as my preferred player. I have volume levelled by track and album. In the view panel I normally use the top choice 'Tracks' which is showing albums only along with Replaygain_Album, the Replaygain_Track column is empty (except on a Whole Album rip). I have found that some tracks on some compilation albums play louder than the rest of the album in Musicbee but not in Mediamonkey. In an effort to find out why, I switched to Album and Tracks view and was looking for Replaygain differences by track. Single artist albums - all tracks listed together even with differing Replaygain values which play at a level volume. From what I can see in all my compilation albums all tracks are split and listed by artist. I have tried to find answers on the forum but I am not sure about how to apply the solutions found and none seem to work.
My settings in Edit Preferences - Sorting / Grouping I use Album/Artist (both ascending) and Grouping - first option (files for each album....). My ideal solution is for the Albums and Tracks view to be all tracks on an album or disc to be grouped together and in track order.

Library size - 4169 albums/ discs and 61271 tracks. All FLAC files to level 5 via dBpoweramp.
Hopeful in advance.

frankz

There is too much extraneous information in your post to make much sense of it. Mediamonkey, replay gain, etc.  Let's start with the basics.

My settings in Edit Preferences - Sorting / Grouping I use Album/Artist (both ascending) and Grouping - first option (files for each album....).
Are your files actually arranged this way on your hard drive (i.e. every album of the 4169 is in its own individual folder)?

Why are you using that specific sorting? What are you hoping to achieve?  That is not one of the define sorting options, so you must have entered that to get some specific result.

Albums are generally put together by album artist, which is why you looking at artist is splitting up compilation albums (they have multiple artists).
Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 05:33:00 PM by frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
Albums are generally put together by album artist, which is why you looking at artist is splitting up compilation albums (they have multiple artists).
In addition to what frankz stated, if you have multiple artists on a compilation album and <album artist> is left blank, MB will treat each track as it's own album since is assumes <artist> equals <album artist>. Therefore compilations should always have something like "Various Artists" as the <album artist>.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

PaulRJ

Thank you for your reply. Is this different to checking the compilation box when ripping? My use of Artist rather than Album Artist is that my major collection (147 albums) is that the two do not always match. For information I am a 147 collector of all Prog Rock magazines and CD/ Download music collector. This collection is number 2/3 in my collection. What happens is that the Album Artist should be Various but is not always!! Mostly Album Artist is the first Artist on the album. Next. If, as MB states that the Tag write is 'universal', so whatever player used the volume should be the same. Why do certain tracks play at a much louder volume? In case this is extraneous information I apologise, I have Creative Soundblaster  Audigy FX speakers (5:1) on flat equalizer. I have 4 media players (some are not good!!), one thing I really like about MB is the depth of sound through these speakers but the volume is an issue.

PaulRJ

Ok and thank you for your reply. As you can see, the digital world is full of issues and problems.

hiccup

Ok and thank you for your reply. As you can see, the digital world is full of issues and problems.
I'm sorry to say that the way you are composing your posts, them being one large blob of text without the use of new lines or paragraphes, and a somewhat confusing mix of things that you are bringing up, makes it very uninviting to try and read them and make sense of it all.

So I didn't make the effort to read them well. It made my brain hurt ;-)

But the main and underlying issue to me seems that you don't have your albums properly grouped.
If you had, you could just use the basic Album Covers view (without any custom sorting or grouping rules), select an album, and send it to Volume Analysis.
Then all the tracks of the album will get the same kind of ReplayGain adjustment.

PaulRJ

Thank you for your reply. In case I have missed the point. My concern is volume levelling. If MB sets Replaygain (Track and/or album) everything should be played at the same volume? If 1 track out of an album doesn't, why? how to solve?

PaulRJ

Thank you, updated later.
I am new to Forum posting, sorry for the block of text. Simply, if I listen to an album I want the same volume, if not why not?

PaulRJ

Second reply. Why doesn't album gain not apply across all tracks? Using test track as other replies. Apologies for the persistence on this, I listen to 4 - 5 albums each day and I hoped MB would volume balance. MM seems to use the lowest level as the balance - ok but not best.

phred

• Global Moderator
Before I too drop out, are you volume leveling -all- the tracks in your entire library at once? If you're only doing each album's tracks, then the volume will not be the same across the tracks of all albums. MB allows you to analyze the leveling on a track basis -AND-/-OR- an album basis. You can do both at once. But as I said, if you're applying track leveling on one album at a time, MB is analyzing just the tracks on that album.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

PaulRJ

Thank you for your reply. Volume levelling across the whole library - 12 - 14 hours! i.e. overnight. Plus restored original volume and tried again.

phred

• Global Moderator
I have nothing further to add. Perhaps someone else can help.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

PaulRJ

Thank you all for your answers. Maybe digital cannot volume level as much as the dial on a cd player!

frankz

What playback leveling setting have you chosen in the Controls menu?