Author Topic: musicbee windows explorer context menus - wishlist item  (Read 3633 times)

BigHam1

Hi Steven,

Currently (July 2011) MusicBee supports "play" and "queue" functions within Windows Explorer.

Could you add an "Add Files" option as well?

I'd love to be able to right click a folder in Windows Explorer, select "Add Files to MusicBee", and have MusicBee automagically add the files according to the default new music rules.

Thank you!  ;D

Steven

• Administrator
while not ruling this out, you can drag/drop files from windows explorer straight into the musicbee library node, inbox node, or main panel

Anti

I also highly recommend setting up the computer node in the navigation pane to show only filtered folder locations, and spending a little time getting used to using it. I used to use windows explorer, but after forcing myself to use the computer node to add a couple of albums that way, I will rarely use windows explorer again.

kstuart

I also highly recommend setting up the computer node in the navigation pane to show only filtered folder locations, and spending a little time getting used to using it. I used to use windows explorer, but after forcing myself to use the computer node to add a couple of albums that way, I will rarely use windows explorer again.

There a couple of disadvantages of using the Computer node:

- It only shows the music files, which is correct, since it is really part of the music library system.   However, the standard for fan sharing of live shows is to name tracks something like "Blah290711trk01.flac" and then to use a separate "Blah290711.txt" file to give the song titles, venue, etc.   Only the most recent shows have tags, so only the text file can tell you which track is which prior to doing your own tagging.

- I'm not sure if it is a bug or just a consequence of the code used, but Computer node does not obey various options set in Windows Explorer.   One of those is turning off click-to-rename, and so 98% of the the album folder line responds to a click with "rename", and then none of the regular context menu items, such as "play now".

- I use a leading underline "_" to put favorite artist folder at the top of alphabetical order, but for some reason, Computer node puts "_" at the end of alphabetical sort order.

Anti

Those live shows seem to cause you a lot of trouble! :)

But yes, I'll concede I was talking about 99% of the time, when you just
want to tag newly downloaded stuff and add it to the library. If you have
to dick around with text files and rename folders, then I can see how it
might be better to use windows explorer.

Steven

• Administrator
i didnt realise windows explorer had its own non-ordinal sorting method but doing a quick google search its very easy to implement.

but could you explain some more what you meant by 'so 98% of the the album folder line responds to a click with "rename", and then none of the regular context menu items, such as "play now"'?
MB does both of those things with folders

BigHam1

[ quick follow up on original request, i've successfully used drag and drop from windows explorer, and i've also set up filtered folders in the computer node: click the new folder in the computer node, the files display in the main panel, i select 'em and choose "send to inbox". the computer node's the way to go, works like a charm. thanks for the tip anti! ]