Author Topic: Drag and drop to create playlist  (Read 213 times)

Uplander

In Windows (File Explorer) I have a list of MP3s that are ordered by having [1] or whatever in front of the title.  So, it might say [1] Song by ABC Band [2] Song by XYZ Band and so on.  I have done this to put them in an order I choose.

When I drag and drop the tracks into a playlist in Musicbee it carefully deletes all the prefix numbers.

I see there is a "sort" option in Musicbee but I just want to be able to compile something in Windows and then drag it into Musicbee without the track names being altered.

Is this possible please?

I am of an age where things like Musicbee seem complicated, so if you are kind enough to answer please bear this in mind :-[

frankz

Musicbee gets its title, artist, album etc information from metadata tags within the files.  It does not normally change these when you add files to the program.  It just reads what's there.

Are you saying that you are adding this information to the "Title" metadata tag in the files, or are you adding it somewhere else (eg. the file name)?

Uplander

Thanks for posting.

Lets say I have the track Hollies / Air That I breath and this in in a Windows folder along with other MP3s.  If I decide that this track should be first then I rename it [1] Hollies / Air That I breath.  Within Windows it will place this at the top of the various MP3s in that folder.

In my ignorance (because I am rather ignorant regarding Meta data) I thought that if I dragged these into Musicbee it would obediently keep them like that but it alters the name of each track!

Hope I have explained that ok. 

hiccup

In my ignorance (because I am rather ignorant regarding Meta data) I thought that if I dragged these into Musicbee it would obediently keep them like that but it alters the name of each track!
Frankz probably put the finger on the underlying issue.
MusicBee is designed to work with metadata (tags), and so by default will use metadata fields for displaying and pretty much all other functionality.
So if you want MusicBee to work well and get the most out of it, it is strongly recommended to learn about metadata and tagging.

If you want to see the filenames of your files, for most MusicBee views there is the field <Filename> available that you can select.
That should show your files including the prefix track numbers that you talked about.
Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 08:15:18 PM by hiccup

Uplander

Thanks for that.  Maybe I have to get my head around metadata as you say.  At least through this post I now know why the track names were morphing.  This probably sounds incredibly basic but when you pre-date computers by a long way then it can all get a tad confusing.

I appreciate your help.

hiccup

Maybe I have to get my head around metadata as you say.
If you want to use an advanced music manager such as MusicBee the answer is yes.
If you are not willing or interested to learn about metadata/tagging, there are many music players that don't rely that much on that:

See here for some suggestions:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=40189.msg217578#msg217578

Uplander

I just read the post that you linked to and I thought ... this could have been written for me!  I am a refugee from WMP and VLC.  

I will check out the players that are listed and I very-much appreciate your help and tolerance.

:)

hiccup

And thank you for the understanding for what has been thrown at you at your first day here ;-)