Author Topic: Playlist Tab  (Read 338 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Using 3.6.8730 P

Since I've been using MB since the beginning, I feel I should know this but I've been so set on my layout that an attempt to change something is leaving mystified.

I've seen some screenshots recently that have a "Playlists" tab. I have right-clicked on Playlists in the Navigator and there's no option to open in a tab. Which I could then pin. I've checked in Layout (1) and (2).

Could someone please demystify this mystery for me?

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

tjinc

1. Make sure 'Playlist Explorer' is enabled in Preferences > Layout(1) > Left Sidebar Navigator
2. Create new tab.
3. Select Playlist Explorer in Left Sidebar Navigator

That's it.

phred

• Global Moderator
That's it.
It is and it isn't.

My issue was not having the Playlist Explorer showing. Thank you for that. But this now takes over my left main panel. Which I don't want as I have the Artist's Bios there. What I expected was a Playlist tab which listed my playlists which then could be clicked and opened in a new tab. I'll have to think about this a bit and see if it's wishlist-worthy.

But I thank you, tjinc, as I now see how to get closer to what I was looking for.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Zak

• Global Moderator
It sounds like you might want the Playlist Directory*, which is available with the other controls in the View > Arrange Panels... settings.

*And another example of seemingly identical things in MusicBee inexplicably having different names.
Bee excellent to each other...

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks Zak, but still not what I'm imagining. Your suggestion still puts the directory in a sidebar. Which I guess would be okay if it could be stacked with another element.

Here's what I've seen that made me think about this. Full disclosure: I lifted this off another thread. Ignore the red and blue boxes.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Zak

• Global Moderator
What I expected was a Playlist tab which listed my playlists which then could be clicked and opened in a new tab.
I'm still not sure what you're asking for - the Playlists tab in the screenshot is what you get following the instructions in Tjinc's first reply.
Bee excellent to each other...

phred

• Global Moderator
Perhaps -I'm- not sure what I'm asking for.

While I do get the Playlists tab when using tjinc's method, the main panel only displays the music from the selected playlist. And the Playlist Explorer now occupies the left sidebar.

What I'm looking for is something like this in the main panel

And when I click on (select) a playlist, it displays like this

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

tjinc

Ah, I see.
Almost like a 'Playlist view' - something akin to the Album Covers view but for Playlists?

I don't think there is a way of doing anything like this currently but it sounds like a great idea to me.
(I'm sure there would be issues with how you might handle auto-playlists, playlists mixers, playlist folder structures...)
Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 02:04:59 PM by tjinc

phred

• Global Moderator
Almost like a 'Playlist view' - something akin to the Album Covers view but for Playlists?
Playlist View!!! I like it.

No, there's definitely no way to do it currently. I'm considering a Wishlist Request, but due to some obligations, it will have to wait for a week or two.

For the record, the second (and third) screenshots are from my Plex server. It uses the same music files as MB does and the 100+ playlists are generated by MB, including auto-playlists. MB auto-exports them and Plex picks them up.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki