Author Topic: Queue Actions  (Read 755 times)

SandBird

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to queue actions, specifically when dealing with Convert and the File Organizer?

As it stands, if for example I convert an album, I can't convert another one until the current "conversion action" is done - same goes for file organizing.

It would be great, and help with the workflow, if one can just queue more files to any of the aforementioned actions.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

phred

• Global Moderator
If you're converting all to the same format, then just select all of them and start the process.

As for file organizing, as long as everything is tagged properly and you set up an organization template, you can select all of them and proceed. I STRONGLY suggest you test this first on a few tracks and/or albums before you re-organize your entire collection. Make sure you're satisfied with the results of the test.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SandBird

Thank you phred for the reply!

Perhaps I should have been clearer about the scenario where my question applies:

If you have files in multiple folders, that are not under the same folder tree, you can't multi select them. Also, what if you realized you didn't select all files and want to add another one?

For example: you have an album in D drive and another one in E drive, both of which you wish to convert. If I go to the album in D drive and convert, you need to wait for it to finish before proceeding with E drive (this is a simplified example just to show what I mean).

As both actions that I mentioned takes time (Conversion and in some cases File Organization) it impedes the workflow because you have to wait for each of those commands to finish in order to initiate another one.

Is there any way to address that?

phred

• Global Moderator
Is there any way to address that?
Perhaps temporarily don't use folder view. Use Track Details view and all your files should be in one long list. Or use Album/Artwork view if you're converting/organizing complete albums.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SandBird

I appreciate the workaround but in many cases I prefer to convert prior to importing to the library (but not always). Additionally, selecting files/albums in one huge list will give you a higher probability to make mistakes (for example, deselecting all by mistakenly selecting one file after hunting your selections, we've all been there ;) )

Furthermore, the workaround does not necessarily apply to the scenario if you forgot to select a file or an album etc. - you will still have to wait for the conversion to end and then hopefully remember where you stopped (as mentioned both are not an instant process).

It looks like there is no way to queue actions - I will add a request to the wish-list hopefully it will be answered.

Thank you again!

*I focus on converting but this also applies to the File Organizing tool.